Wolf engine/transmission mounts or convert to civvy spec

Tobias

I am building a Pulse Battlefield Ambulance replica.

I have a chassis from a TUM 110 Wolf, including the removable crossmember, without the mounting points for transmission.

I have civilian engine and gearbox mounts, including a transmission mount crossmember.

Which route to go?

Weld the civvy engine mounts to the inside of the chassis rails for the civvy engine mounts or try to procure the engine mount parts to mate with the Wolf spec engine mounts? Pros/cons?

Will the civvy transmission mount crossmember fit in the holes in the TUM chassis, or do I need to drill/crush tube new ones?

Better off source the military mountings bolted to the TUM chassis?

it seems I can source the missing military bits, but it will be costing me £200-300, which will end up as 300-400 once in my hands, with taxes and so on after brexit.

The civvy mount path needs some weld on mountings at ¨£30 and some welding and drilling time.

Are the military mounts significantly better? What condition do they address? Do civvy spec 300tdis not stay in place?

Thanks

Tobias

According to the parts book for "Wolf" 2320-D-128-711, engine mounts ANR3548 (RH) and ANR3548 (LH), while civvy spec equivalents are ANR2868 and NTC9415, according to part books I have found online.

Wolf uses brackets bolted to the chassis legs, as opposed to welded to the crossmember, which in turn is bolted between the chassis legs.

Bracket numbers for Wolf: ANR2818, ANR2820. With corresponding differences in the brackets bolted to gearbox and transfercase.

So after reviewing verious sources, my own opinion is here: Engine mounts ANR3548 and ANR3548 are identical to ANR2868 and NTC9415.

Yes ANR2818 and ANR2820 are specific to military vehicles (I assume). - I dont think there are any real benefits from the military approach - I think its probably something born out of how the military like redundancy in chassis parts/repair for in service use etc and they ended up with a more serviciable alternative to welded brackets - them being bolted as below. - so I guess its down to how accurate you want your truck looking.

A slight aside - ironically I built my own bolt on mounts a few years ago not indifferent to those, reading betwen the lines - if you can;t find them to buy its they shouldn't be too dificult to fabricate some mount to the below spec.

image.png.ac4d4fdabd53b9d3bba70f7ae5a421ff.png

image.png.ba546cb94991a51cf613acb0bc888b28.png

1 hour ago, Maverik said:

so I guess its down to how accurate you want your truck looking.

A slight aside - ironically I built my own bolt on mounts a few years ago not indifferent to those, reading betwen the lines - if you can;t find them to buy its they shouldn't be too dificult to fabricate some mount to the below spec.

This part of it inot important at all. Durability, reliability, time effort and cost of implementation is important. Having a fleet of 300tdi vehicles makes using the civvy spec attractive. Parts commonality. But how much do I need to modify the chassis to accomodate? All bolt on?

I guess test mounting a transmission crossmember will tell me, if you can truly confirm that the engine brackets are physically the same.

Bolt-in mounts will make transmission swaps / repairs a lot easier. Just make sure you sleeve the holes.

I've got bolt-on standard transmission mounts that look at lot like the picture, pretty sure they're stock RR/Disco ones :huh: so not sure if it's just a year thing or perhaps R380 vs LT77 or earlier?