Why is it always the right rear?

elbekko

Well, the solenoid appears to be fine. It's purely the electronic drive block that converts the ECU's solid signal into PWM for the valves that fails.

I do wonder if the valve may be slightly sticking and pulling some extra current. So far both times it has happened shortly after towing a heavy load, so maybe when it has to keep the valve open longer than normal the drive pack burns out? Still very strange...

A dry solder joint resulting in overheating of the electronic opponents on that channel, then?  Or again, some moisture getting in and corroding, shorting or increasing resistance of components in that area of the box?

Hmm, maybe. I could try taking a look at the valve itself at some point. The connector to the valves is squeaky clean, and the drive block itself is fully potted, so shouldn't be seeing any moisture. So the only thing it could be is at the valve itself.

If it is due to moisture/heat affecting mainly that valve, that could explain why it happens on other vehicles too.

• 5 months later...

Finally got around to it.

20220918_112810.thumb.jpg.3262083bd2b7c31232b60ccbe0736c91.jpg

That'll do it.

Turns out the right rear is right above this hole:

20220918_113030.thumb.jpg.05c11680208a69f0b98ca425336f4b98.jpg

Which goes into the wheel well. Normally there is the inner liner to give a bit of protection, but I don't have that one anymore, so it's a straight throw from the tyre to the valve...

But even cars with inner wheel wells get junk in there, like on this valve block I took off the shelf:

20220918_115242.thumb.jpg.8ce3e3cf14148761b8b832da6936a2bf.jpg

So I popped a grommet in the hole and poked a small hole for drainage. There's a bunch of slots and such in the side of the box that would let large amounts of water drain anyway.

20220918_115141.thumb.jpg.be71353e2db686d5df5604d41d421385.jpg

Mystery (and problem) solved :)

• Like 1