Is a Speedisleeve an appropriate solution for this seal land damage?

Turnips

I'm asking here instead of in the Series area because:

a.) The question is primarily about a consumable, not a LR part
b.) Not everyone peruses the Series area!

I have two seal lands which are damaged, the flanges for the front and rear output shaft on my transfer box. Replacement parts run to around £260 (on top of £1k in gearbox parts, ouch), and I don't want to reuse them in their current state as I think they are going to leak and/or eat seals.

I have never used Speedisleeves but I have read on here that they are a good solution to this type of problem. Can somebody with experience using them tell me if this would be the case here? Pictures of the damage below:

image.thumb.jpeg.ee542b1523eaad6f7aa007141f5a3be6.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.3d457ad64374d54f31489f41d8eb2ec6.jpeg

I would rather spend some of the £260 savings on a decent set of digital verniers to measure the shaft diameter in order to get the right Speedisleeve.

I have installed Speedisleeves, but not in this area. However I would say that I would have no hesitation in choosing speedi sleeves if it was cost effective.

From a post on the forum of the Series 2 Club:

Speedi Sleeve for transfer box output shafts, SKF 99162 (for 1 5/8" dia shaft)

Regards.

• Like 1

There is one possible 'gotcha' I failed to mention before.

Each Speedisleeve comes with an 'applicator', sized for the diameter of the seal.
Obviously these suit the diameter of the seal, but are often too short for the length of the shaft which protrudes through the sleeve.
There are two common solutions:
One is to find a longer tube in your scrap pile, the diameter has to be close, but it does not need to be super precise.
The other is to make a hole in the 'closed' end of the applicator large enough pass over the shaft, then find a length of tube to push on the applicator. The advantage of this method is that the 'designed for the job' applicator still interfaces with the sleeve, minimising the risk of damage, and that your scrap piece of tube doesn't need to be that precise or 'clean'.

Pictures are from a sleeve and modified applicator being used on a Series steering relay, the 'scrap piece of tube' in this case is a socket. They show the increased area the tube has available to push against.

Regards.

DSCF1510w10.jpg

DSCF1081w20.jpg

DSCF1082.JPG

DSCF1084w20.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, David Sparkes said:

Each Speedisleeve comes with an 'applicator', sized for the diameter of the seal.

I had wondered about the fitting of the sleeve. I watched a YouTube video which showed an applicator like the one pictured above - but no mention of it coming with the sleeve. I presumed I would have to find something on the scrap pile to do the job, but your idea of modification makes sense too.

Thanks for your help.

There are 'gold' versions of the SKF speedisleeves in some sizes which are hardened and supposed to last longer under arduous conditions. I have used speedisleeves on diff flanges as I thought they may last better than getting a Chinese replacement.  And careful, they are sharp.

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, JohnnoK said:

I'd say a SpeediSleeve would be perfect for that application.

Apologies, I updated my build thread but not this one!

I used a Speedisleeve for both flanges, and they worked fine - although the vehicle will not be finished for a while so time will tell if they will leak or not...

I modified the tools which came supplied by grinding the end from one of them and tacking them both together.

image.thumb.jpeg.6f7dfef30d7979d5aebaebbc809dba63.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d8566024d60d2a7ef92d5f5ac334393b.jpeg

Edited by Turnips
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2