Spot of camping

miketomcat

9 hours ago, Anderzander said:

Great !  Very unusual tent ?  I’ve not seen one like that before in that size.

It's a helsport varanger camp 8-10, allegedly it sleeps 8-10 but comfortably 6 without the wood stove. We sleep 4 plus dog and have a modified dog cage around the stove.

Mike

We always have a carbon monoxide detector in the tent. The tent is designed to be used with a wood burner (hot tent) and even though it is nylon it is fire resistant. 

The dog normally ends up on my feet. She does get objectionable to the heat in there from time to time, but then so do we.

On North uist a few years ago we were sat around in the tent wood burner on in tee shirts. Outside was about 5°c, blowing a force 9 and raining. 🔥:i-m_so_happy:

Mike

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Anderzander said:

Do you have to ‘shop around’ for campsites @miketomcat?

We’ve found quite a few that don’t allow fire pits - I would presume yours would be viewed similarly? 

We haven't had any problems but we tend towards small basic sites. North uist is my mother-in-law's field so no issue there.

To be honest I would argue that it's no different to a gas stove. It's up off the ground, completely enclosed and we cook on it. The dog cage has a metal tray in the bottom as well so the grass is completely protected.

Mike

• Like 1

Just got back from 5 days at Nash Oaklands, found a new field - ten of us. Fire pits are allowed and wood is there to cut (we even cut a couple of tonnes for the farm, as a favour). There's spring water at the farm, that's it. 'Our field' was big enough to set up a range for musket and rifled mussle loader practice

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Nonimouse said:

Just got back from 5 days at Nash Oaklands, found a new field - ten of us. Fire pits are allowed and wood is there to cut (we even cut a couple of tonnes for the farm, as a favour). There's spring water at the farm, that's it. 'Our field' was big enough to set up a range for musket and rifled mussle loader practice

Had never heard of Nash Oaklands, just checking out their Facebook page and it looks great

23 minutes ago, L19MUD said:

Had never heard of Nash Oaklands, just checking out their Facebook page and it looks great

Ric and Shirley are great people. You can camp anywhere you like as long as it's not in with the cows or on crops. The wood is great for small groups

• Like 1

We’ve done Nash a few times and will probably go again soon.

The woods are great but if the weather’s been bad for a few days, it gets interesting getting up to the top! 

I’ve got a video somewhere of the woods…I’ll dig it out 

• Like 2