300Tdi Discovery 1 - theft prevention

Jim Mason

Not sure if allowed to post this...

Recently two Land Rovers TD5 and what was a nice looking 200Tdi, have been stolen locally - one from Bentley - other Darlaston

Then just burnt out after getting them stuck.

I have a hidden switch for fuel pump solenoid - how can i lock off Starter Motor etc.

Also do pedal locks help?

What else can i do?

20220430_083909.jpg

20220421_104822.jpg

Screenshot_20220502-205650_Facebook.jpg

Like I said last night, deterrant is delay, delay, delay.

Big old piece of bike lock chain tight round the clutch pedal and steering wheel, likewise with the gearctick and hi/low lever. Fuel shut off solenoid by pass, starter bypass. Tracker.... wiring up the alarm sensor to loud thing. Motion sensor lights, security camera... Internal camera.  Line lock on the brakes (I think I have one somewhere if you want)...  hoofin gert big dog in the truck - or even a Jack Russell with an ASBO.  Nothing is thief proof, but a thief needs a quick steel

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's a solenoid controlled block on the brakes (usually the front). You apply the foot brake and engage the solenoid (with a key on the one I may still have somewhere) and it locks the pressure on the brakes

I remember seeing those advertised around a decade ago.  Aren’t they illegal in brake lines?  If it failed in the locked position while driving, it would prevent you from releasing the brakes and could cause a skid.  It would be very effective in preventing the car being towed away by a thief.  Legal in the clutch line, though.

1 hour ago, Snagger said:

I remember seeing those advertised around a decade ago.  Aren’t they illegal in brake lines?  If it failed in the locked position while driving, it would prevent you from releasing the brakes and could cause a skid.  It would be very effective in preventing the car being towed away by a thief.  Legal in the clutch line, though.

You're right - Iegal.  They were very effective though, as a handbrake.

They're not as much proof against theft as has occasionally been made out.  Just need to slacken one bleed nipple and drive it away without brakes.  Only useful as one 'layer' of security - and there are many other completely legal layers, I suspect just as effective!