LRT 12-012 special tool measurements

giacomo.m

Hi all,

having to carry out a test on the turbocharger of a 2.5 VM engine, I kindly wanted to know if anyone knows the measurements (diameter/thread) of the plug on the intake manifold or the specific Land Rover tools so that he can find the appropriate connection for the pressure gauge

thank you

Giacomo

Hello taurion, and thank you very much

but the cap seems to me to be conical, am I wrong......?

I take advantage of your excellent mechanical knowledge to ask you: do you know the size of the LRT-41-007 special tool for LT230 Transfer ?

Giacomo

I did  a LT 230 rebuild 7 years ago and do not remember needing anything special.  Any special tools for me are homemade out of the lathe , welder and drill in the workshop . so , sorry cannot be of much help.

What are you trying to diagnose on the turbo?

22 hours ago, taurion said:

I did  a LT 230 rebuild 7 years ago and do not remember needing anything special.  Any special tools for me are homemade out of the lathe , welder and drill in the workshop . so , sorry cannot be of much help.

What are you trying to diagnose on the turbo?

the engine is very weak, sluggish as if it did not have the turbo ....

Giacomo

Start with the simple and cheap....

Fuel filter and air filter.  The air filter can be totally soaked in oil from the crankcase breather if it goes to the air filter.

A simple loose clip on the intercooler hoses will lose a lot of power, or a leak in the intercooler core. The hoses can delaminate inside and so block or reduce the air flow.

The waste gate may be jammed open?

Is the turbo badly worn? look at the compressor wheel and feel if there is any radial movement, what is the oil consumption?

Try to set up a pressure gauge ( 0 to 1.5 or 2bar)  in the vehicle and drive it to see what boost pressure the turbo gives.  Without working the engine you will find it hard to get any boost pressure , unless you rev it to well over 2500rpm.

Hope that helps.

Fuel filter and air filter : new

no loose clip on the intercooler hoses, and no leak in the intercooler core

how can i check the waste gate that is not stuck open ?

no oil consumption, and no radial movement at the turbo compressor wheel

as soon as I can I have to try the boost with a pressure gauge

thank you

Giacomo

I think you can see or feel whether the waste gate is open since it is beside the turbine wheel, I will have a look in a few days.

If you are able to get a pressure gauge , tee off from the pipe that goes to the fuel pump boost diaphram.  If you have pressure then the problem will be in the fuel pump, a broken membrane or sticking fuel pin.

Hope that helps.

Yes, that is ok.  You need to accelerate hard in 2nd or 3rd gear above 2000rpm to get the turbo to give 1bar, slightly uphill will give the engine a load so that the governor calls for more fuel which makes more exhaust gas which increases inlet pressure.  It is almost impossible to get any meaningful pressure when stationary because there is no load on the engine.  If there is no black smoke when you 'floor it' you have a fuel problem, lift pump or possibly injection pump.

Hope that helps.

I did the test with the pressure gauge : 0.9 bar accelerating hard in 2nd and 3nd, also I noticed that the maximum speed is 120/130 Km / h when I "floor it" without black smoke
fuel pump, injectors...... ?
thank you

Giacomo

It is is good that the turbo is working. I would have expected 1 bar.

If there is no black smoke when accelerating , particularly from 1200 rpm to 1600rpm before the turbo starts working, there is a fuel problem.

Does the fuel lift pump work well with a strong jet when pumped by hand?  If not, start by checking that the fuel pick-up in the tank is not partly clogged.  The fuel lift pumps do fail, so that could be delivering less fuel than needed which would be the extra bit of fuel to get the turbo to 1 bar.

All that remains then  is the fuel pump.  Is the membrane in good order under the cover of the turbo boost capsule on the fuel pump?  Does the boost pin move freely? It is the same Bosch VE pump fitted to the 200 and 300tdi engines and a lot of VW/Audi so there is a lot of info on this and other forums.  I presume you have 7% vegetable oil in your diesel which can be the cause of problems in the older pumps, particularly if the vehicle has been standing for any length of time.  I have had 3 fuel pumps rebuilt in the last few years and each time the technician had said that the vegetable oil has started to degrade the seals and reduce the performance of the pump, 1,000€  for rebuild 3 years ago.

Hope that helps