I've experienced tank pressurisation on a TD engined 90. The boost diaphragm splits and air is forced along the spill rail to the tank. The reason the tank pressurises and the vent doesn't prevent this is because the vent is designed to let air in only to compensate for fuel being used and not out (otherwise it would leak on a slope). The diaphragm is only £15 or so, and as Phil says, it can be done with the inj pump in place. There are two springs either side of the diapragm, which are different, so make sure you put them back the same way they came off. The TD engine is the only one that I'm aware of that has this particular problem.

Other syptoms are the engine being gutless/turbo appearing not to work (that's because it isn't). Fuel will also be pumped up the pipe to the turbo as well as along the spill rail as the pressure inside the tank tries to push it back.

I think an easy test is to run the engine enough that the tank is pressurised, then disconnect the thin pipe that goes from the inj pump to the turbo. If the diaphragm is split, fuel will be pushed out (or maybe air, so it might hiss)by the tank pressure being released back.

Les. :)

• 1 month later...
Can someone show me a link of where the diagphrams are available from? Maye with a pic as they showed me the broken one

Sorry to bring this to life again, but I wold be very interested to know if the diaphragm replacement solved your problem of the pressurised fuel tank. I have the same problem on my 1988 90, only difference being that my tank sprung a leak and I can assure you that the breathers and/or fuel cap are not the problem. I'm going to try and get a new diaphragm this week and see what happens once it is replaced.