Vacuum Pump

Hi guys, been a while i know but work and hectic life keeps me busy sadly. 

I have just discovered that the Vacuum pump has died!?!......... I know the part number is ERR3539 so was just wandering which is the best option to get ie Blue box, Genuine or what??? Plus is it a straight plug and play type of job or is there something i should know when doing this???

Hope you're all good and well out there? Cheers Andy 

I take it 300? The Wabco ones are rather expensive and don't seem to last. I bought a Unipart one for rather less, has only been on a year but so far so good, though really too early to tell. I have an electric one waiting to get fitted but you know how it is...

Sorry guys, yes it's a 300Tdi.....

As for signs of failure, needed to stop a bit sharpish the other day, so jumped on the brakes and though it came to an almost stop right at the last the pedal seemed to push further and the motor rolled on for about 4 yards!?!

Plus with engine off, foot hard on brake pedal, switch engine on the brake pedal drops again or pushes further in!?! Going to take the hose to the vacuum pump off and do a finger over the hose test as a final check later today. 

So are we saying basically any make of vacuum pump seems a fair option???

Cheers Andy 

3 hours ago, Mutley said:

... Plus with engine off, foot hard on brake pedal, switch engine on the brake pedal drops again or pushes further in!?! ...

That is the basic standard test that the servo is working. As the engine starts the vacuum increases, the brake line pressure increases, so the movable parts move more.

3 hours ago, Mutley said:

... it's a 300Tdi.....

As for signs of failure, needed to stop a bit sharpish the other day, so jumped on the brakes and though it came to an almost stop right at the last the pedal seemed to push further and the motor rolled on for about 4 yards!?!...

That seems like partial failure of the main seal in the master cylinder, allowing the fluid back past the seal.

Regards.

39 minutes ago, David Sparkes said:

That seems like partial failure of the main seal in the master cylinder, allowing the fluid back past the seal.

Regards.

Best not be!!!......I put a brand new one on not 6 months ago and yes a quality part!?! 😡

If you can measure the vacuum, the new Unipart one managed 0.65 bar, I have seen more from the Wabco ones. The other points worth looking at are the servo (they crack and leak air), the non return valve (where the hose enters the servo), the vacuum hose,  and the O ring between the servo and master cylinder. From what you describe it could also possibly be sticking pistons in the front calipers. If there is little or no vacuum the pedal feels dead as if it has gone solid. 

An update, we have somewhat of a result and at the same time managed to avoid what could have been a nasty incident!?!.......

I went out to do some checking on the Land Rover and as i got close, noticed a wet patch on the tarmac (Front near side wheel on the inside)!?! I get down to look and see brake fluid splattered all up the inside of the wheel and dripping from the union that goes into the calliper! Thinking this had some how worked loose i tightened the union for it to still leak!?! I removed the copper brake pipe totally to inspect and all seemed good so decided to put it back on. I connected the pipe to the flexi pipe first then the end into the calliper. It was whilst tightening the union into the calliper that i noticed the calliper rock forward!?! Hmmm I know that's not supposed to happen! Grabbed hold of the calliper and was able to rock it back and forth!?! Hmmmm not good me thinks! Upon closer inspection it became clear the top bolt holding the calliper had come loose and at some point dropped out!?!?!?! Thus causing the calliper to move and upset the brake pipe unions seating!

Luckily i had some calliper bolts to hand along with some brake pipe and fixings, so a new pipe made up and bolt with loctite on was replace as was the bottom bolt, as this was likely to have moved, i removed this added loctite and then replace! Brakes then bled and then taken for a careful test drive. Having tested the brakes i then tried 3 or 4 emergency stops on a quiet road and the brakes performed as they should!!! Yeeeeha!!!

The reason this wasn't picked up in the beginning is due to the fact our drive is half gravel, half tarmac, and i always park on the gravel and the wife parks her car on the tarmac. So there was never really a wet patch to notice until this problem arose and i just drove straight onto the tarmac hoping it would stop easier than on the gravel!?! But have to say really am glad i found this before total brake failure or loosing the second bolt and dumping a calliper that could potentially be messy for all concerned!?!

Have to say i have NEVER had this happen before plus when removing callipers i always use new quality bolts that come pre loctited! Just find the whole experience a little unnerving!?!

Thanks to all for help and the advice given, Cheers Andy  

• Like 2