Military tyres....

nileseh

I have a '87 ex-MOD 110 truck.  It has only 50,000 miles on it and the original Michelin XCL 7.50R16 tires, and I have a few spares as well. They have plenty of tread life remaining but they're a bit older than is reasonable.  I saw a military training video the other day featuring the same truck, perhaps a bit newer, with different tires entirely. Does anyone know what standard tire, size and make,  is currently being fit to the 110? 

16 minutes ago, nileseh said:

I have a '87 ex-MOD 110 truck.  It has only 50,000 miles on it and the original Michelin XCL 7.50R16 tires, and I have a few spares as well. They have plenty of tread life remaining but they're a bit older than is reasonable.  I saw a military training video the other day featuring the same truck, perhaps a bit newer, with different tires entirely. Does anyone know what standard tire, size and make,  is currently being fit to the 110? 

Goodyear G90 750 r16 regards Stephen

• western changed the title to Military tyres....
9 hours ago, Anderzander said:

Don’t say that .. I’ve just bought some XZL’s 😂

XZL is a Bit pricey or at least was. But looks like they haven’t changed prices much and everything else has gone up. I don’t mind the XZL. Very good laning tyre and robust. Used to have some in 8.25 x 16, which was a lovely size on a Land Rover. 

• Thanks 1

G90s have been the MoD spec for over 15 years, possibly over 20.  Reasonably good in mud, but truly awful on road.  They wear fast, make a racket and have next to no grip on wet roads, and are lethal on wintry roads.  I think the XZL was better, but still has those same traits to a significant degree.  As a rule of thumb, the MoD only bough cheap carp for British Forces, with few notable exceptions.

1 hour ago, Bowie69 said:

Not quite true, I am sure the tyres cost a bloomin fortune.

They probably did because of how carelessly government contracts are awarded.  But they are still carp.

• Like 1

I suspect they meet all sorts of military criteria and supply chain rules that the rest of us give no hoots about. Also, I suspect they were specced at the same time when the original tender to supply Land Rovers was put out - so probably 40+ years ago now, and technology has moved on a little ;)

I had a set of XZL's and they were tough as old boots but mostly useless. Only good thing was I'm fairly sure you could drive over a police spike strip and suffer zero tyre damage with them :lol:

@Daan I think that is the XZL or O/R, the XCL is similar but in more of a V-shape:

Land Rover One Ten.Trophy 89 110 2.5 Diesel Turbo wearing Michelin XCL mud  7.50 X 16 Tyre's

I agree the BFG is a different league. Years ago I drove a friend's 90 with O/Rs fitted in winter, and it was pretty hairy. My own 90 on BFG MT KM1 was a lot better. And seemed to beat the O/R for traction in the mud as well.

On my Lightweight I have an old set of General SAGs, awesome in the mud but scary on road. Even on dry tarmac I can get all 4 to lock up...

I understand wanting to keep a car as original as possible. I'm very difficult myself when it comes to buying tyres for my classic cars as I find most modern threads ugly and unsuitable. But on a car that's used regularly, it's probably wise to get over it and just fit a decent set of modern tyres (often a lot cheaper to).

• Like 1

On 5/21/2022 at 7:22 PM, Anderzander said:

Hey !! That used to be my job !  😀😂

My brother too.  He quit after nearly 20 years because he couldn't stand the bureaucracy and focus on civil service processes rather than military needs.

G90s aren't brilliant in mud, but then aside from mucking about on Salisbury plain, and possibly a bit of gloop in the Falklands, the military has needed good sand & gravel tyres for the last three decades, G90s are very good on that in their defence.  They air down very well and that tread pattern grips into stone or rocky ground where other tyres can tend to slide over the top.  And if you go fast enough they sound like a star wars x-fighter 😄

At the risk of pedantry, the first 20-odd seconds of that is the Falcon, specifically its arrival at Yavin 4 in ANH.

I thought XCLs and XZLs sound more like TIE Fighters, but having a listen, I think they are very like the Cloud City Pod Cars in Empire Strikes Back. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Snagger said:

I thought XCLs and XZLs sound more like TIE Fighters, but having a listen, I think they are very like the Cloud City Pod Cars in Empire Strikes Back. 

Think you're right, they're more like a tie fighter - still remember driving to Libya in a soft top 90 on G90s and that howl drove me nuts! 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Escape said:

While making comparisons, a P38 at speed on Insa Special Tracks sounds like a Lancaster or other 4-prop bomber on fly-by. 🙂 

Jungle Trekkers are more like a Mosquito.