Headlamp main beam issue, and I have no clue what might be up

As above. 110, 1989MY

I switch lights on (switch to bottom on steering column) and I get Dipped Beam coming on.

Pull big stalk (horn, indicators/lights etc) right up and I get a flash from auxiliary spotlights, dipped beam stays on, but no main beam flash as you'd expect.

Push same big stalk down (which should put on main beam and aux spots together) and I get dipped beams going off completely and aux spots come on and stay on.

In both cases of engaging main beam the blue main beam warning light on the dash illuminates.

I renewed the stalk assembly an hour ago but the problem persists so its obvoiusly downstream of the steering column. All fuses are intact as far as I can see.

The vehicle has the Landreiziger wiring loom, connected directly to alternator and its been fine for a couple of years now. It connects in place of the old lighting loom, but uses the old loom's wiring to trigger the relays to operate the lights via the new heavier duty wiring.

So my thinking is its possibly an issue related to the relay? I've checked the big Landreiziger-supplied relay and it all seems to be connected appropriately and no dodgy/exposed wires.

Anyone suggest any other possible culprits based on that specific lights on/off/dipped etc behaviour described?

Edited by Jocklandjohn

If it's triggering the relay and the spots are lighting then it's likely downstream of the relay - between it and the headlamps. Daft question - are the main beam elements in the bulbs actually working (not blown)?

12 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

If it's triggering the relay and the spots are lighting then it's likely downstream of the relay - between it and the headlamps. Daft question - are the main beam elements in the bulbs actually working (not blown)?

I did think of that, given that both had failed, but before dismantling I thought I'd ask.

Its not entirely out of question as the recent alternator swap was because it's regulator was toast and it was chucking out stupid Volts so not inconceivable its fried the main beams. I shall replace bulbs and let you know!

1 hour ago, western said:

Have you got the dimdip black transformer still fitted, if yes, move the instrument pack & unplug the black transformer behind the instrument pack. 

Hi Ralph - not sure! I dont recall removing anything like that when I fitted the loom. I take it thats this thing: 

47 minutes ago, Jocklandjohn said:

Hi Ralph - not sure! I dont recall removing anything like that when I fitted the loom. I take it thats this thing: 

Yes that's it, just unplug & tie back the cable. Lights normal operation should return, if not can only be a dying relay on the loom. As suggested above. 

Update!

Checked all fuses, swapped around a few, still got problem.

Swapped out relays, still got problem.

Pulled headlight checked bulb, high beam filament is blown. Replaced bulb and happy days - it all works fine. Swapped out the other one and its all working normally.

So I'm guessing that for the brief time the errant alternator had it voltage regulator go awol it must have been too much for the bulbs.

So all working normally, and thanks for the guidance. I now know also that there's a dimdip black transformer lurking in the dash waiting to gremlin me! (Thanks Ralph!).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, taurion said:

When my alternator decided to produce 16.6V it blew  my Osram nightbreakers , fortunately there does not appear to be any other damage.

I've checked various fuses and kit and, fingers crossed, I seem not to have suffered any other consequences. Curious that the same thing blew on yours, maybe they're particularly susceptible to over-voltage.

We've had another case of Nightbreakers blowing due to over-voltage caused by a failed regulator. They are pretty high strung to give that much light, so probably not as much margin as on a conventional bulb. Supposedly they don't last as long under normal use either, but I've yet had to replace one despite using them for many years in several vehicles.

23 hours ago, Escape said:

We've had another case of Nightbreakers blowing due to over-voltage caused by a failed regulator. They are pretty high strung to give that much light, so probably not as much margin as on a conventional bulb. Supposedly they don't last as long under normal use either, but I've yet had to replace one despite using them for many years in several vehicles.

The old adage of 'no free lunch' then! I was fooled by the fact that only one of the filaments blew in each bulb, and on both lights at same time. Lesson learned!