Rail rover

Gazzar

"..I'd love one like that as a company car! .."

No, you don't.

Have driven a few over the years and they're usually sluggish (loads of tools in the back) and the added boogies make them in corners.... interesting.

Also, getting them positioned on the tracks is not always easy as the famous steering works against you.

However, they do go once on the track 😉

Braking requires a soft foot.

Most are limited to 45 km/h on track.

Those extra steps are really useful as they are quite high to get into sitting on rails.

Yes I would, 'cause now I only get a train ticket. 😉 I know I'd have a very hard time to get authorization to actually use one on the tracks, but it sure would look good when visiting railway projects!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nonimouse said:

... I did try to get it approved for an article with LRM - to no avail

In that context, there is one of these in use by the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway, based around Wirksworth in Derbyshire.

I am 'local' but have no practical involvement with the railway, I've just seen occasional pictures in the weekly reports which sometimes cover the Permanent Way team.

The website doesn't seem to display a photograph.

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Gazzar said:

Very interesting! Eldest is doing research on this topic at uni.

On converted rail going road vehicles or rail head cleaning? Either way, I'd find it interesting to learn more. 

The latest machines on the drawing boards are using lasers rather than mechanical abrasion.  I can’t remember if the article I read said six lasers to do multiple passes, or multiple lasers to do the process six times faster.

5 hours ago, Snagger said:

The latest machines on the drawing boards are using lasers rather than mechanical abrasion.  I can’t remember if the article I read said six lasers to do multiple passes, or multiple lasers to do the process six times faster.

This is spooky, the algorithm wins again. Look what just popped up in my news feed...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-63399858.amp

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...