Fiddly awkward placky clip doobry whatsit

Les Brock

Technical term :lol:

How the flamin hell you supposed to get it back on through the appature...?

Seem to remember Chris had this trouble....but can't find it, I'm sure the Hybrid never had one....still ain't got one :unsure:

This is on the Disco though

Thing is its only the clutch slave gone,

when I removed it very carefully, getting a long nose pair of pliers to hold the rod, while I pulled the cylinder back and removed what was left of the dust cap etc, it was dangling so I'm not even sure it was on in the first place

I don't really want to be removing the gearbox etc.... :(

When I had to do one without dropping the box we put the clip on the end of the rod then slid over a bit of rubber hose and held that in place with a small jubilee clamp. This allowed it to be fitted to the clutch fork with some care not to snap the arm off the clip. Tricky, but do-able.

FWIW mines running without the clip coz it wasn't there the first time I had to do anything on the slave cylinder so not knowing any better I just put back what I found.

Down side is I did drop the rod inside the bell housing during assembly so ended up spending quite a while fishing it out again ready for my second reassembly attempt.

if/when I take the box out I'll look at reinforcing the arm and fitting a new clip but for now it works well enough.

Ah! That little <deleted 'cos this is a family friendly forum />

Not knowing it was there I pulled it out with the rod when I was investigating the knackered clutch on my disco last week. It is possible to clip it back on using just your fingers while lying under the car (leave the clip on the end of the rod and refit the slave cylinder to it afterwards). You'll be doing a fair bit of muttering under your breath before you succeed, though :(

Agreed, it can be done. I made a tool out of 6" of tube which the rod fitted inside with a grub screw to hold the tube up tight against the plastic clip. Then proceeded some period of swearing and cursing. I also broke a clip in the attempt. Having three hands would have helped fit the bu***r.

Chris

Can't help with suggestions on how to refit your pushrod. Others have already done that. But whenever I have a customers gearbox or engine out I press a washer into dished shape, slide it over the pushrod and weld the washer to the clutch fork so that I never have to worry about stupid

plastic clips letting go in the future when replacing slave cylinders with the gearbox in situ.

Bill.