OT - fork re-chrome

Badger110

I’m rebuilding a mates TS185 and I’ve  cleaned, powder coated, cleaned and replaced a fair bit but the replacement forks I got are actually 33mm and not 32mm for this model year.  

I bought them in February off the bay and tbh I can’t see me returning them now, and even if I did I’m still left without a set of 32mm forks. The current old one have the usual perished on the lower stanchon.

Is it possible to re chrome the forks on a motorbike? 

Knowing how difficult these are to get hold of, I’m thinking of getting them repaired

The other option is to get a set of yokes for a set of 33mm from Suzuki but that’s a rabbit hole I’m not willing to go down just yet.94935E02-D2B7-47B5-B18A-9C3323E9DDD8.jpeg.a3e1d711b2fe774152071806520ee245.jpeg

You can get them re-chromed - but I’m out of touch with where and how much it might be. 

I would think you could also have your yokes opened out by an engineer for not a great deal of money. Even if they are thin castings you must have room for 0.5mm on the circumference.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Badger110 said:

I’m rebuilding a mates TS185 and I’ve  cleaned, powder coated, cleaned and replaced a fair bit but the replacement forks I got are actually 33mm and not 32mm for this model year.  

I bought them in February off the bay and tbh I can’t see me returning them now, and even if I did I’m still left without a set of 32mm forks. The current old one have the usual perished on the lower stanchon.

Is it possible to re chrome the forks on a motorbike? 

Knowing how difficult these are to get hold of, I’m thinking of getting them repaired

The other option is to get a set of yokes for a set of 33mm from Suzuki but that’s a rabbit hole I’m not willing to go down just yet.94935E02-D2B7-47B5-B18A-9C3323E9DDD8.jpeg.a3e1d711b2fe774152071806520ee245.jpeg

If you know anyone with a lathe and a 4 jaw chuck the fork mounts can be opened up reasonably easily, did some years ago when a mate was rebuilding a Ducati regards Stephen

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Anderzander said:

You can get them re-chromed - but I’m out of touch with where and how much it might be. 

I would think you could also have your yokes opened out by an engineer for not a great deal of money. Even if they are thin castings you must have room for 0.5mm on the circumference.

The only trouble with getting stuff re- chromed is what condition it is in, when I've had it done they need to polish as many imperfections out as possible, if the forks are pitted this might be replicated in the new finish.

Probably easier to open mounts out a wee bit, you will not have a full .5mm to take out as forks could be opened up slightly with a hardwood wedge to make life a bit easier regards Stephen

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

The only trouble with getting stuff re- chromed is what condition it is in, when I've had it done they need to polish as many imperfections out as possible, if the forks are pitted this might be replicated in the new finish.

I initially investigated re-chroming my swivels and found this too. The chrome layer is so thin, that any underlying surface imperfections show through.

A chroming place in Sheffield decline to do any automotive parts but with a quick google I remember finding a place in Ashford, Kent, if memory serves.

On 6/25/2022 at 8:13 PM, Stellaghost said:

If you know anyone with a lathe and a 4 jaw chuck the fork mounts can be opened up reasonably easily, did some years ago when a mate was rebuilding a Ducati regards Stephen

After a few non starters with the re chrome, this seems the better option.