Range Rover Sport Engine Removal

Simon_CSK

A while ago I asked the question what would stop the engine being removed from the front of a TDV8 orTDV6 come to that. I cannot find the thread however I now know the answer.

My plan was to remove the transfer box this would then allow the engine and box to come out together. That was the theory. So with everything removed at the front of the car and the transfer box taken off. engine mounts removed  I got the forklift connected to a strap round the engine and lifted. The first thing that was apparent was that the sump impacted on the right hand drive shaft. So off came the driveshaft and the connection to the diff giving the required access. We then tried again. The engine lifted ok but given the angle we were at it snagged on the bulkhead. As the car was being scrapped this didn't matter to me so we continued the lift and the engine and box were out.

The lesson I learned was that LR's suggested method is the only option. I didn't need to save anything however the space to lift and manoeuvre was far too tight and whilst you may get it out there will be a lot of expletives and little chance of getting it back in. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, garrycol said:

Many people have removed and replaced RRS and Disco 3/4 engines without lifting the body.  However it is far easier removing the body first.

The TDV6 may be different but in my view I would life the body off the way Land Rover advises.