LT85 to LT230 Bolt

I have done something very stupid and lost a bolt which holds the gearbox and Tbox together. It's vitally important I find the right part number OR the length for the bolt, I only know it's M10.

Here it is with a stand-in bolt just to stop the oil pouring out, but without knowing the proper length I cannot be sure it has enough thread engagement or isn't too long and doing something nasty inside the box.

PXL_20220705_192452943_MP.jpg.13e5ab47e0981972726fa6cb773a3fc8.jpg

On this diagram, I think it's this hole circled. Note - no bolt pictured.

image.png.de491b9b1ed197987a8b3a9319d9e4d6.png

There is nothing shown in the holes it could be in this diagram:

image.png.2012c461ee36e30636f2862c793c0cf4.png

I am stuck. Any help appreciated, I just need a length!

I can't see any bolt in my 110 part bok that looks like it's meant to fit there either. As for finding out the length, bend a bit of thick wire so it's got a short turned end put it in the hole then pull it back so the bent end touches the inside face of the transfer case, then mark the end your holding where it's closest to the case, withdraw the wire & measure, then you'll have a idea of the length of bolt/machine screw you need to fill the hole & it's inner end would be clear of rotating gears inside the transfer box. 

• Thanks 1

On my LT230/R380 I fitted a stud in that hole, stud part number FRC5595, It doesn't protrude inside the case more than 2 threads & is clear of the nearest gear. 

The above stud is item 2 on the  diagram below, the parts list says 2 per assembly 

IMG_20220706_211840.jpg

• Thanks 1

Ralph, you are - as ever - a legend.

I think you're right, there is meant to be a stud in there but for whatever reason it hasn't got one now. It would make sense as I have found a mystery M10 nut while searching for this missing bolt that doesn't exist.

I will order...

Neat trick for the bolt hole length, by the way.

I'm pretty sure it meant to be a stud, sometimes they get left in the removed transfer box when replacing, the left over nut would suggest it should be a stud to. 

As for the finding the length with the bottom plate off, you can see the subject hole & confirm the stud doesn't intrude & is clear of the gear face. 

If you can wait until Monday, I will have a look at my V8 90 which is 20 miles from here and take the bolt out and measure it, if its a bolt and not a stud.

If I remember that is, which seems to be an increasing problem :( 

That's very kind of you, but your oil will fall out of the hole!

I have ordered a stud which I'm hoping to fit tomorrow, I can't see what else it would be and why I would be missing a bolt when I've found everything else.

I really appreciate the offer but please don't go to any trouble for me.

19 hours ago, ThreePointFive said:

I really appreciate the offer but please don't go to any trouble for me.

Its no trouble. It has been sitting there for eight years, so doesnt matter if the oil drips (or gushes) out. If it is a stud, I will not remove it.