Applicator for thread penetrant

Mossberg

I currently use Plusgas for my thread penetrant but I am also considering a 50/50 mix of acetone/ATF

One thing I have noticed is how difficult it can be to apply to the area I want it. My Plusgas is in a tin, not a spray can. Many times the area of application is in an area with little room above it, so holding the tin above it to apply the fluid isn't possible. Many times I end up not being able to apply it or p**sing it all over the place as I try a long range squirt or running it from high above.

So do you folks have any cunning methods to apply it? Buying it in mini spray cans would be good but that would be quite expensive and no good if I am using my own mix.

I once thought I had found a good applicator when I decided to use the little drip bottle thing you get with a covid test - it worked great in principle but the body of it split in no time, so great idea but not upto the job.

I am considering little syringes. 20x 3ml syringes are £7.27 off ebay. These should be small enough and also you can direct the fluid in any direction you can point the syringe but not sure how long one wood last.

So any ideas folks? I have enough rusty nuts to benefit from a good application tool.

Thanks in advance.

Mick

8 hours ago, David Sparkes said:

When I used Plus-gas I used both forms of applicator, the cheap tin for easy to reach points, the expensive spray for when the tin wasn't physically suitable.

I have the same. At least the tin can be used upside down, whereas the spray gets very fussy as it gets emptier. 

I use mechoil from autosmart, you can buy it in aerosol but I get 5L tubs and have a spray trigger applicator. I like it you can watch the brown rusty gunk ooze out of the end of a pin or joint as you unseize it.

Edit: just checked its about £20-25 for 5l and the 600ml trigger bottle is about £3 and they last really well. Nigel@aechemicals.co.uk is my rep but I don't think he lives too far from you and is very helpful.

Sean, I am not sure about the seals on a normal oil can - especially with the acetone mix. It would be great if it does, especially with the flexible nozzle. 

The mechoil sounds interesting muddy, but I bought 1ltr of acetone to try so would like to try that first. It was about £9 delivered and I already have atf, but your gear sounds like an economical option. 

I have one of these:

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/grease-oil-lubricant-dispensers/0672138?cm_mmc=UK-PLA-DS3A-_-bing-_-PLA_UK_EN_Facilities_Cleaning_%26_Maintenance_Whoop-_-Grease+%26+Oil+%26+Lubricant+Dispensers_Whoop+(2)-_-672138&matchtype=e&pla-4575411489753957&msclkid=69b4f18e52b41788f02d934597b16168&gclid=69b4f18e52b41788f02d934597b16168&gclsrc=3p.ds

Which has survived everything, including Acetone, thinners & gun cleaner.  It also has a nice, satisfying feel to it!  You can imagine yourself oiling a steam engine with it!

I tend to use a mixture of one of the above, whatever I have at the time + EP90 as penetrating oil.  Maybe only 10% oil though to keep it really low viscosity.  Smells bad - but works well.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2022 at 7:43 AM, simonr said:

I have one of these:

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/grease-oil-lubricant-dispensers/0672138?cm_mmc=UK-PLA-DS3A-_-bing-_-PLA_UK_EN_Facilities_Cleaning_%26_Maintenance_Whoop-_-Grease+%26+Oil+%26+Lubricant+Dispensers_Whoop+(2)-_-672138&matchtype=e&pla-4575411489753957&msclkid=69b4f18e52b41788f02d934597b16168&gclid=69b4f18e52b41788f02d934597b16168&gclsrc=3p.ds

Which has survived everything, including Acetone, thinners & gun cleaner.  It also has a nice, satisfying feel to it!  You can imagine yourself oiling a steam engine with it!

I tend to use a mixture of one of the above, whatever I have at the time + EP90 as penetrating oil.  Maybe only 10% oil though to keep it really low viscosity.  Smells bad - but works well.

Well I decided to look at an oil can but was concerned about the seals. I looked at a can in a local budget shop and found this can. As far as I can see there are no seals. I tried it with plusgas and it pumped OK. The only downsides I can see is it looks like it will need to be at least a third full as the mechanism doesn't seem long enough, and also the tube is flexible and i wonder if that will perish over time.

20220717_143147.thumb.jpg.7fb812f9c7c90bc7c372ca654c0e0e5b.jpg20220717_143234.thumb.jpg.4af470f0ef1ffd77f6cf75769aca7b76.jpg

£3.50 is a bargain - doesn't matter too much if the pipe perishes!  If you want to be creative, you could replace the spout with a bit of copper brake line, soldered to the brass fittings from the plastic one?

Mine doesn't suck right down to the bottom of the can either - I think it's a feature!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I use an acetone and ATF mixture in an old polythene bottle fitted with a trigger mechanism.  The label has long since gone so I don't know what it once held, but probably washing-up liquid or bathroom cleaner.  No sign of any washers or gaskets failing.  It gives a good jet squirt, not a spray, so I have to be pretty good with my aim!

Mike

Well I have been using the oil can for a while now with Plusgas and it has worked well. It soon returns to the can, which is probably because the liquid is quite thin. However, a few pumps and it's back.

I used it to apply it to the threads on each end of my draglink and it was really good at directing it where I wanted, even in the split in the draglink which was positioned at the bottom. 

As the spout is a flexible pipe you can also aim it at the back of something. Far better than the standard can and less wasteful.