Source of Noise

This could be the bearings in the tensioner pulley.

There was a common fix for a chirping fan belt which was to put a penny in behind the tensioner itself. - but if this noise had just started I'd be looking for worn belt and duff tensioner bearings - I've also seen the water pump pulley have some small damage which caused this issue also.

• Like 1

After focusing in on the tensioner pulley I don't think this is where the noise is originating. My hunch is the problem lies with the alternator. Since the alternator is rather dated I have ordered a replacement (rather than try to replace the pulley). It will take a week or two to get as receiving parts in Canada can be a bit of a wait. We shall see. In the meantime, the Defender keeps happily driving along with a new instrument added to its orchestra.

• 3 weeks later...

The new alternator arrived and I have removed the old one and installed the new except for the wiring. I believe I understand where to connect the two wires from the bundle that heads to the battery. I would appreciate some insight into a third connector (circled in attached photo) that was on the old alternator but not the new. Should I take it off the old one and put it on the new?

I also ordered a tensioner, Snagger, in case my theory about the alternator is wrong. The water pump is fairly new so I'm hoping it's not that.

New_Alternator.jpg

Old_Alternator.jpg

The black thing circled is just an electrical Interference suppressor - i.e. it helps keep some of the EMF from the alternator effecting the radio - background crackling etc. you dont need to take it across to the new one.

Thick browns go to stater & battery, you can ignore the brown/red on my alternator 

Brown/yellow to charge warning light in dash

Ignore the purple/yellow that's drives my rev counter. 

Thick cable in ridged sleeve is a jumper from alt to starter to supplement the original wires. 

image.png.075e9de978a412972bc41979067a07c3.png

Attached the wires, reconnected the batteries, fired her up, and all was Defender quiet. After connecting the batteries, I had tested them and the voltage was 12+. Once running I checked the voltage again and it was 14+. All seemed just fine.

And then after a few minutes of running, in true Defender fashion of not wishing to admit total compliance in the maintenance you do, I hear a faint intermittent chirp—not the same noise as the alternator and indeed hardly audible, coming from the same area. I smiled. After twenty years of serving me well we've both agreed on give and take. Will see if it develops into anything.

I do wish to thank this forum for all your help; most appreciated.

• Like 2