Nice camper, but .......

smallfry

7 hours ago, Happyoldgit said:

Nicely crafted but the end result looks like a cross between an Airstream trailer / caravan and a boat. With all that timber I wonder what it weighs?

That timber frame is  what they call a "Buck". Its a pattern to form all the panels, which must touch all over to get a smooth and consistent shape. It is not used on the finished vehicle. This is how they make all low volume aluminium bodied cars,  like AC Cobras etc.

If you look at the other pics you can see the aircraft type frames that the finished panels are fixed to.

Very nicely done and finished, but so much wasted space, and so much money. It has a novelty value, but is not at all attractive IMO, and whats with the dash ? Looks like its been painted with Hammerite !

Even with my new Euromillions jackpot, I still wouldnt pay that !

• Like 3

5 hours ago, smallfry said:

That timber frame is  what they call a "Buck". Its a pattern to form all the panels, which must touch all over to get a smooth and consistent shape. It is not used on the finished vehicle. This is how they make all low volume aluminium bodied cars,  like AC Cobras etc.

If you look at the other pics you can see the aircraft type frames that the finished panels are fixed to.

Very nicely done and finished, but so much wasted space, and so much money. It has a novelty value, but is not at all attractive IMO, and whats with the dash ? Looks like its been painted with Hammerite !

Even with my new Euromillions jackpot, I still wouldnt pay that !

Indeed but I was referring to the interior lining not the buck.

I admire the craftsmanship but like you I wouldn't buy it ... congratulations on your win BTW 😁

6 hours ago, Anderzander said:

Seems like it’s there first one with a view to building them on commission.

https://www.duckworthoverland.com/?fbclid=IwAR31K1--qjEB49YSok38tEkoA3c-ljR8GLmv6-oHzx5pYWktsJgTZuUAlWY

Gulp....£350,000 Base Price!  The £250k one is obviously a bargain!

I'm a bit dubious about the 2.5 Ton weight.  A 130 Chassis cab is quoted as 2130kg unlaiden weight.  380kg for the pod on the back seems optimistic to me.  Maybe that's the weight of just the shell without the interior?

It's a nice bit of craftsmanship - but not the prettiest camper or Defender I've seen!  It would look better on a more rounded vehicle.  The angular defender jars with the rounded pod - to me anyway!

I guess they've done market research on both the pod, vehicle and price point - I wish them well with it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, simonr said:

I'm a bit dubious about the 2.5 Ton weight.  A 130 Chassis cab is quoted as 2130kg unlaiden weight.  380kg for the pod on the back seems optimistic to me.

Our ambulance is 2.8t with the conversion, and that's a big square box with a similar level of gear as the one pictured (bed, fridge, etc.).

2.5t seems optimistic, especially for a diesel with wood panelling, but perhaps almost achievable with the number of speed holes they put in those internal braces :ph34r:

24 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

but perhaps almost achievable with the number of speed holes they put in those internal braces :ph34r:

Not necessarily speed holes but those flared holes will allow thinner material to be used whilst being stronger than a thicker material, plus having the nice bonus of weight reduction to boot.

Most people have a notion that aluminium structures are lighter than the steel ones - only if you're willing to sacrifice rigidity or get creative with bracing and increasing the rigidity / strength in other ways. Those flanged / dimple died holes are one simple and very effective way of doing it.

• Like 1

Not denying that in this instance but they're used extensively in aircraft frames - but they also serve a very useful purpose of being able to run wiring, hydraulics and such through the holes. :D

2 hours ago, simonr said:

It's a nice bit of craftsmanship - but not the prettiest camper or Defender I've seen!  It would look better on a more rounded vehicle.  The angular defender jars with the rounded pod - to me anyway!

1948 GM Cabover

2 hours ago, Ed Poore said:

Not necessarily speed holes but those flared holes will allow thinner material to be used whilst being stronger than a thicker material, plus having the nice bonus of weight reduction to boot.

True enough, but I'm not sure the level that they've gone to town with the simple-die in that camper is really paying for itself compared to a much simpler construction... shaving a few kilos out of the frame and then wood-panelling the inside is sort of counter-productive, especially given the number of man-hours that must've taken.

Much like Simonr I'm not averse to the odd bit of dimple-die tarting about... this for instance definitely adds about 10bhp and makes my rear lights 4.7% brighter :rofl:

2018-08-27_21-09-36.jpg

• Haha 1