O/T Camping kettle thingy

Anglo-Frenchman

The rival to the Kelly Ketle is the Storm Kettle

I think the Kelly Kettle became quite popular in the UK because of Chris Yates & Bob James using one in the tv series "A Passion for Angling" some years ago. Mind you I was lucky enough to win a day with Bob James in 2004 and was both disappointed and amused to see that he used a Camping Gaz stove to boil the kettle! I did pull his leg a bit, but he reckons the Kelly Kettles are slower than gas stoves! :P

Personally I use a Coleman Sportster Stove that runs on unleaded petrol - really quick and you can fill up anywhere! B)

Steve

Having seen 'GBMUD's kelly kettle (which is a type of volcano kettle) in action whilst out laning, I immediately went to Anchor supplies in Ripley, Derbyshire to buy one. They are just incredible. They hold 1 litre of liquid, and can boil in just over 2 minutes. Alternatively, if you are short of fuel, they will boil the same volume of water in about 3 minutes using one broad sheet piece of newspaper. An absoutely amazing design - I used mine on the beach when we went to France. Nothing like a good cup of PG tips to keep your day going....

i have a kelly kettle and love it. I was up at land cruser park with aload of landys and we have to boil some water (for coffee in the morning) so out came the kelly kettle. All the aussie had not seen one before and watched it and were going. What the hell it that. And how cool is that

After playing around with our Kelly Kettle trying to improve it, initially I put a heap of holes in the base to help it breath better, which worked OK, but the best thing you can do to help you Kettle on its way is get an empty dishwashing detergent bottle, fill it with diesel so you can give it a good squirt into the kettle to get it going, works a treat especially if your wood is a bit dampish.

I just keep a small bundle of dry split kindling in the 'brew box' - My Kelly Kettle is like Grandads broom, had it for about 20 years but it has had a new base and a new top! Used it all over the world and it's damn good.

For small 'brews' though I use a Swedish army Trangia - it has a bigger burner than a Trangia 27 and will boil water in a billy in about 3 minutes

I run a Jet Boil.

Super fast boil, smaller, easier to store, less faffy, water container doubles as mug and you can even get a coffee maker for it!

It's maybe worth knowing that Kelly Kettle's have a limited operating life before the aluminium twists out of shape or you burn a hole through the water jacket. Another reason I'm not a fan is that whenever i've been with a group where the 'Dangerous Kettle' has been cracked open for a brew, I always seem to be the bloke who gets the last drips of water from the kettle. "sorry about that Kev, d'ya wanna go find some sticks" :(

I run a Jet Boil.

Super fast boil, smaller, easier to store, less faffy, water container doubles as mug and you can even get a coffee maker for it!

It's maybe worth knowing that Kelly Kettle's have a limited operating life before the aluminium twists out of shape or you burn a hole through the water jacket. Another reason I'm not a fan is that whenever i've been with a group where the 'Dangerous Kettle' has been cracked open for a brew, I always seem to be the bloke who gets the last drips of water from the kettle. "sorry about that Kev, d'ya wanna go find some sticks" :(

All very impressive Kev but it needs gas cannisters. So it becomes a paperweight/desk ornament when anywhere remote. There are places with no pie shop me old mate!

I know from practical experience my KK will heat water when burning diesel soaked sand/Camel Turds/Dries Bracken/Dead Gorse/Toilet Paper/Oily rags . :D

They are b*gg*rs for wearing out though - takes about five years of hard use but then you are somewhat stuffed until you can get a spare.

For small 'brews' though I use a Swedish army Trangia - it has a bigger burner than a Trangia 27 and will boil water in a billy in about 3 minutes

A gas burner is a very worthwhile investment if you've got a Trangia - ferociously powerful, much more controllable than the meths burner and less hassle to use. Plus it still has the huge advantage over most gas stoves that you can switch back to meths if you run out of gas in the sticks :)

My Trangia is an el-cheapo copy - the genuine gas burner cost as much as the rest of the set but was well worth it. Probably worth shelling out for a proper Trangia if you use it a lot, though - the cheapo ones are a bit thin (but lighter as a result, if you're hiking).

For coffee making on the move I've got a decent large espresso maker and a deep fat fryer basket that sits in the Trangia and makes a nice grid for the coffee maker (it's slightly to narrow to sit on the pan brackets). Makes loads of coffee if you do a batch of strong espresso then a big pan of water for americano :D Not really hiking gear though - it's too big and heavy.

no fuel to run out of being one of them.

...ah, but being brought up by scout leaders if I couldn't make a fire out of whatever's lying around I think my Mum would disown me... :ph34r: Most of our travelling is Europe at the moment and then with any luck America/Canada so if we run out of Petrol I think we'll need shooting! (which is probably a distinct possibility in some areas anyway ;):D ).