Off road

Badger110

Can anyone recommend a good 1 to 1 off road centre course?

We're off on another trip in September and i'd like to learn some knowledge from those in the know before we go

I've also purchased some BOG OUT's as i shelved the winch idea for abit, so i'd like to be able to get the hang of these before we go.

I found Whitecliff 4x4 who seem to cater for what i need, but always interested in other people's experiences .

Ta

2 hours ago, miketomcat said:

Personally I would either talk to @Nonimouse nicely or find a local club go have a chat with the committee/chief marshal.

*cough* shires seven sisters event is in September, I and several others off here will be there and happy to take you for a bimble.

Mike

I missed the last one, too late and tickets all gone.

What does it entail ?

James T of 4x4 Adventures used to offer one to one tuition, he taught me how to properly control the vehicle when I first got into off road driving and if that isn't the mark of patience and understanding, I don't know what is.

https://www.4x4adventures.co.uk/_main/home.htm

It would very much be worth getting in touch with him, he runs events across the South West and one of the sites he used for tuition was in Crediton.

• Thanks 1

I would consider going on one of the DBORC days:
https://www.4x4adventures.co.uk/_main/dborc_driving_course_and_social_mornings.htm

I attended one many years ago - and it was great!  Despite turning up in quite a capable vehicle - I still didn't manage to complete everything & got stuck a couple of times!  I think my belief in my own abilities exceeded my actual abilities!

Many of the people attending were quite new to off roading & they received lots of attention, guidance & assistance where needed.

I'd like to go back one day!

Si

• Like 1

That’s the thing, I’m pretty confident I can deal with most things but I’m always willing to learn and remove bad habits as well getting the hang of the bogouts which I’m excited about.

4x4 adventures seem a good shout, I’ve left a message and we shall see how it goes.

I’ll give some feedback from the bogouts when I’m done too

I still do the odd session. But I don't charge anymore. I'm sort of semi retired from it. There's loads of folk doing, the majority fo whom, simply don't have a clue, meaning that in the end, you get fed up.  I spent years getting every damn ticket under the sun (except RoSPA), only to find out it didn't really matter, because no one cared

I don't have a site anymore, but 4x4 Days, up near Bristol Airport let me use the site on their open days. I'm busy until the middle of August.

I have just over 3,800 sessions in my 'book'. Including a fair few people on here, some bloke called 'Jim Marsden' and a few other interesting names 😀

1 hour ago, landroversforever said:

Can't seem to find them, and they're not showing on the map on the BORDA website. 

Chap was called David, can't remember his surname. I used to do the odd bit of work for him. Nice bloke

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

Mate's I did it with dug out his certificate. It was David Heaton, Pro Driver Training. Having googled it now, the place has shut :( 

That's the chap. Really nice bloke. I was moonlighting from LRE when I helped him out, and he was talking about retirement then. There are very few BORDA places left now, which is a shame because they had got it just about right

• Like 1