Anyone re-bearinged or made their own belt tensioner pulley?

Per the title really - somehow both my trucks have dodgy belt tensioners and it seems like the pulley/bearing part could be improved with better bearings and/or a seal or mud flinger feature or something.

When the new ones turn up I'll have the old ones apart to see if it lends itself to being violated - in an ideal world I'd push new bearings into the plastic wheel but I'm not holding great hope of it surviving that operation.

tensioner.thumb.jpg.534f6d0e8df9ccf9077b9e766bbcbb2d.jpg

6202 or 6203  rings a bell but don't quote me on that! I have done a few although it seems to be wear in the large aluminium part that causes the chirp, well certainly on a 300 but that's of little concern to you...

Get some proper circlips aswell to replace the stupid endless one that they fit.

• Thanks 1

I've replaced a couple of those tensioner bearings, but not ones with plastic pulleys. I don't recall bearing removal being a problem, just use common sense and care. Maybe you can replace yours with an earlier (think mine is steel) pulley?

I've swapped bearings in the 300tdi version of those (which has a metal idler). Easy to do, but often doesn't solve the squealing problem that 300s often suffer. I suspect the spring tensioner part no longer moves smoothly over the very small angular range it travels during belt vibration, so doesn't hold the tension properly.

If that's true, I'd expect a short life for replacement bearings in all similar designs, due to the repeated loading/unloading.

I did replace the bearings in a Ford tensioner (fixed, not sprung type) with double sealed version, on my old hybrid, and it never failed again. There were lot's of features of the Ford V6 in early Capris that would lead you to think that Ford engineers never really considered serious off-road use :lol:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TSD said:

There were lot's of features of the Ford V6 in early Capris that would lead you to think that Ford engineers never really considered serious off-road use :lol:

That's because they're designed to go through the hedge backwards. :lol:

I've got a load of them tensioners from the 300TDi's that have died in my possession... if the pully wheels the same, could you swap?

Bearings in the plastic wheel should change if there not molded. But you want all the support you can get around the hole to stop it shattering.

3 hours ago, vulcan bomber said:

I've got a load of them tensioners from the 300TDi's that have died in my possession... if the pully wheels the same, could you swap?

It looks like the TDI ones tension on the back of the belt so the pulley is smooth not ribbed?

1 hour ago, landroversforever said:

On that note.... would it actually matter as it's just a tensioner rather than driving something with any load?

Not sure, my usual approach is that someone bothered to put grooves in it so it's probably for good reason.

• Like 1

Calling on distant memories here - the plain pulleys are steel, whereas the ribbed ones are plastic.

If you have a A/C compressor the pulley runs against the back of the belt, therefore a flat faced pulley. If a non-A/C arrangement the pulley runs on the ribbed side of the belt, therefore a ribbed pulley. This is at least true for 3.9 serpentine engines a la Disco/RRC. I have not looked at a P38 engine bay.

looking at gigglepins new ultra 4 car at the weekend, jim did mention that some of the idlers were metal td5 ones with the ribs machined off, could be an option of they are a similar diameter, 
i do have a manufactured pulley to make into a tensioner but havent got round to it yet as i found the replacment pulleys on amazon for £12 each from febi

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vulcan bomber said:

I've got a lathe....

So have I - bit it's easier to not have to whittle your own pulley if you can avoid it.

As it is, something like @RedLineMike's suggestion of a TD5 pulley could be a goer, although it's diminishing returns as a decent quality pulley is nearly the same price as a complete decent V8 tensioner...

I'll probably pull my old unit apart and see what the state of play is, if I can find some decent bearings to go in I'll give it a go but there's only so much time & effort I want to spend on a £30 tensioner ;)

Don't know about the V8 ones but the 300Tdi are cast steel wheels (at least all the ones I've got) so would be a bit of a sod to machine down.

Mean to order a new bearing (think they were £3.50 from RS 6302R possibly) and swap one over as its still 10x cheaper than a replacement tensioner.

• Thanks 1

So... for you, @FridgeFreezer, speshully for you... my tensioner was notchy too as it happens...

So I set to.

Press, 30mm and 1" 5/16 and a few moments later:

20220808_193716.thumb.jpg.316f7725b0a682d6fb4ee83206e466b6.jpg

Note the swirl of plastic.... not my fault, it appears the bearing is sited between two shoulders:

20220808_193830.thumb.jpg.83b258436b7586787793aab94b5d4960.jpg

20220808_193819.thumb.jpg.6cfb8cfdf73fedef3c85b3783238b3e3.jpg

One of which happily gave way under some pressure. Unfortunately it did result in a couple of small cracks:

20220808_193742.thumb.jpg.cf141243fc680a5b02bd94a6526b9948.jpg

20220808_193757.thumb.jpg.8b76e7e284aabf845ad16007b73c375a.jpg

So, it appears it is possible to get the bearing out, but only with destroying the pulley. The double shoulder thing kills it -seems like they may injection mould it with the bearing in situ, cant see any other way to do it?

You could carve it out on a lathe and then push it out, but would then need a circlip groove machining, or some other of retaining the bearing. 

Hope that helps...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Hope that helps...

Immensely! Probably saved me a load of p***ing about right there :lol:

I did have the pulley off my old one so my current thinking is that I can replace the pulley only - doesn't save much and so far I've not found any poly-grooved pulleys that are any better quality than what came off, so I'm semi-parking the idea unless a nice pulley crops up that would suit.

Sort of one to remember if you ever need a field fix but not super handy when the genuine part is available next-day for £35 :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Can you not just pop a new bearing in there with some suitable locking compound/glue?

I doubt those cracks will cause any issue's...

Might not be further serviceable the next time but you will get another lifetime out the pulley?