Deluxe seats

garryc

Cutting a long story short can anyone tell me how thick the seat bases are on LR deluxe seats for a Series?

Ive got 90 seats fitted in my lightweight and I struggle a bit to get in between the base of the seat and the bottom of the steering wheel. 

I wondered if the original deluxe seats would give me more clearance given there is no sliding frame etc.

As ever, thank you for the assistance.

On 8/6/2022 at 4:43 PM, garryc said:

Cutting a long story short can anyone tell me how thick the seat bases are on LR deluxe seats for a Series?

Ive got 90 seats fitted in my lightweight and I struggle a bit to get in between the base of the seat and the bottom of the steering wheel. 

I wondered if the original deluxe seats would give me more clearance given there is no sliding frame etc.

As ever, thank you for the assistance.

I think it may depend on the year as to whether there is a sliding frame or not. My '84 Series 3 has a square frame that the seat cushion drops into, this is bolted to sliding runners. Unfortunately, I'm unable to get a measurement for you until the weekend.

The 2a had a simpler system with an upturned 'U' section across the front of the seat base to prevent the cushions sliding forward but was not adjustable.

Series 3 seat base and runners.PNG

• 4 weeks later...

Just switched from series seats to defender seats and they are significant taller and closer to the steering wheel. 

So. Yes, series seats will get you more room, and you'll have a sliding frame if you want it.

I put Defender seats in my S3 Lightweight (back in 1994) & had the same problem!

My solution was to modify the seats drastically.  I got rid of the slide mechanism, mounted the things that clip the front of the seat base directly to the seatbox & fabricated some brackets to mount the seat back to the bulkhead so it was still rake adjustable.  The seat base still lifted up (so I could access the fuel fillers).

The end result was a lot more comfortable and no higher than the original.

Before that, I had a S2 which had seat bases with springs inside - that were really comfortable.  The lightweight had the same bases filled with foam - but not so comfortable.