A wee trip to see the mother-in-law.

miketomcat

My mother-in-law lives on the outer Hebrides, North Uist to be precise. Obviously with COVID etc we haven't seen her in a while. At Christmas plans were made to go up there this summer holidays, the ferry got booked along with time off work.

All loaded up ready to go, I'll just check the water.....hmm that's suspiciously low. Well nothing for it top it up and keep an eye on it. We fill up on Skye and as we pull away there's a load of white smoke....well that answers where the water went and it also explains the lock up whilst doing the stem seals a couple of weeks ago. The head gasket has blown I'm sure of it. Well can't do anything about it now, must get to the ferry and I'll order one to be delivered to mother-in-laws. We made it across on the ferry but not without it hydraulicing on start up (needed to rotate it buy hand to clear it and then start it quick) then getting a bit warm on the other side due to water lose.

We made it to mother-in-laws field to set up camp in the rain.

IMG_20220724_101237.thumb.jpg.c4618d4edadf714d49b4a3f322d05234.jpg

The first week was mostly spent walking the beaches whilst waiting for the head gasket set and bolt to turn up.

IMG_20220728_133330.thumb.jpg.b007c3fd6432ffdbf54e238942ffecfa.jpg

Nice spot. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

When you go back up I might have some bits for @Stellaghost that could maybe be dropped north of the border ;)

It won't be this year. Fuel prices made a significant impact on this trip. We are also re-thinking our camping arrangements. The tipi and caranex worked fantastically well, the stood up to the wind very well. The downside is the tipi is designed for cold weather and when the sun did come out it became quite warm, don't get me wrong it has very good ventilation and it wasn't any worse than any other tent. The caranex and trailer worked really well for storage and toilet tent. However on a normal campsite you would get charged for two tents and it took far to long to set up (2hrs) and pack away (3hrs) especially when you need to do it in a hurry to catch a ferry that didn't run. Again it could be simplified with less kit and a bigger trailer.

Mike

• Like 1

On 8/7/2022 at 9:38 PM, miketomcat said:

We made it across on the ferry but not without it hydraulicing on start up (needed to rotate it buy hand to clear it and then start it quick)

Mike I understand that it’s pulled water into a cylinder or two, due to the failed gasket and that can’t be compressed. So how do you empty it? Do you mean by removing a glow plug or injector and then turning it over (socket on crank?)  to push it out? I can’t imagine any other way.

Also was there no pushrod damage?

8 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Do it slowly and it will seep past the rings....

🤠

And valves. It doesn't need much water to hydraulic so there shouldn't be much in there. If you also turn it back the wrong way the valve is open befor tdc. A combination of all three cleared enough to get it to start which was all I needed.

The push rods were fine.

Mike

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If it's any consolation Mike our trip north wasn't plain sailing either.

After meeting up with a mate in Johnstonebridge the 110 developed a rattle. Whilst at a pee stop for the group in Invergarry I drove in circles around him and he said prop UJ. Strange as they were fine when I set off from Wales and greased regularly, anyway to appease him I went underneath and checked, and there was a slight side-to-side play in one of the spiders.

So cue calling into our neighbours yard whilst the group do the first track (decided might as well sort it since I can do that track whenever we want as it's partly ours, partly our neighbours and partly his brothers). Only to find that neither of us had a big enough UJ for the prop so what was a 15 minute removal (amazingly the first UJ I haven't had to resort to a grinder) ended up in a 3h round trip to Inverness to pick up a new one. We didn't have the luxury of sitting on the beach waiting for parts to arrive.

PXL_20220801_120526670_MP.thumb.jpg.e612ef8d059cd5c90c0c79a4a9284598.jpg

Suffice to say rattle was not cured, after finishing the trip and spending a couple of nights at my nan's I decided to have a look and found the culprit.

IMG_20220807_171354_182.thumb.jpg.992148dfef683bdb29aad7496f6f2d2a.jpg

One of the bolts holding the handbrake drum onto the transfer box had worked loose and was rattling around in the drum. Copious amounts of thread-lock and some jerry rigging of a chainsaw sparkplug spanner to a 17mm socket meant I could tighten it up.

Worth it for the views though

PXL_20220803_130657484.thumb.jpg.aa2a3f02f0dd6e1d1a94031f6e0b7a47.jpg

PXL_20220804_100340506.thumb.jpg.65f44cb1821da966b347802f95a64062.jpg

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

Awww @Ed Poore I always take my cuddly toy dog with me wherever I go as well........

Regards Stephen

Mimi the alpaca also made an appearance too... :hysterical:

Think there was a teddy bear somewhere in the back of the Land Rover too as well as a rucksack of a load of other cuddly toys that didn't really make an appearance.

PXL_20220804_114445554_MP.thumb.jpg.aa0e6dce0e0fc79b3449e36107ebef7b.jpg

• Like 1

We (me and the kids) went to Denmark. To meet up with my brother, for the first time in 34 years. I met my neices and sister in law. I fell in love with Denmark. opeted to fly over this time (so I could go to Legoland, a lifetime's dream). Billund airport is at Legoland! Hired a Deisle, manual Kia, which turned out to be a Toyota C-HR Hybrid. Wonderful time. Very emotional.

Then I took my youngest to Nash Oakland for a week - the weather was almost too good. I might get round to downloading the pictures of my camping set up