Anyone used these weld-together squares for fabrication?

8 hours ago, B reg 90 said:

Stephen,

I will rephrase - perfectly possible to do with out one. But a damn site easier and quicker with one. So depends on you concerns about efficiency WRT to your personal assessment of your time cost. There is also the attraction of tools. Apparently if you die with the most tools there is some kind of prize?? Also if you have spent the cash it stops the wife wasting it on a new car she doesn't need as the old one still moves.

Adrian

It also depends how often you do stuff… welding something together and managing the heat it’s perfectly possible to make it all square…. Just takes practice and knowledge.

• 3 weeks later...

Not only do I not have that sort of money to splash on tools, I don't have any free floorspace - with the 127 in the garage the front bumper touches the welder and the back bumper is against the garage door. The welder touches the workbench, the workbench touches the shelving and the shelving touches the wall :mellow:

These US-based YouTubers do slightly irritate me as they all have vast basements or garages that are bigger than a lot of people's entire homes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Not only do I not have that sort of money to splash on tools, I don't have any free floorspace - with the 127 in the garage the front bumper touches the welder and the back bumper is against the garage door. The welder touches the workbench, the workbench touches the shelving and the shelving touches the wall :mellow:

These US-based YouTubers do slightly irritate me as they all have vast basements or garages that are bigger than a lot of people's entire homes.

You missed a trick with the forklift @FridgeFreezer. Bob mentioned that a mate of his has a similar forklift to the one you sent me - he cut a 10mm road plate and used it as a workbench in the garage because it tucked up neatly. If he needed the forklift he removed the workbench table and used it. Bonus was it was infinitely adjustable in workheight :D

27 minutes ago, Ed Poore said:

You missed a trick with the forklift

I used to have a pallet stacker that was very similar but it was still a big unweildy thing to have in a small workshop, the turning circle is bigger than the available free space on the floor.

Even the folding engine crane is a bit of a faff to store.

On the flipside I hoard way too many useful parts and supplies (hence pallet racking in garage) but that's a never-ending battle to get the pile of junk down :(

2 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I used to have a pallet stacker that was very similar but it was still a big unweildy thing to have in a small workshop, the turning circle is bigger than the available free space on the floor.

Even the folding engine crane is a bit of a faff to store.

On the flipside I hoard way too many useful parts and supplies (hence pallet racking in garage) but that's a never-ending battle to get the pile of junk down :(

Time for a storage shed along side? :ph34r: 

16 hours ago, landroversforever said:

Time for a storage shed along side? :ph34r: 

TBH the whole garage could do with an extra few feet along one side, but that's not going to happen and we've already got a substantial inventing shed that's fit to burst too.

Ultimately, short of a lottery win, my best hope is to try and get rid of some of the less precious treasures of the workshop and keep playing the sliding-piece-puzzle game with what's left :lol:

2 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

Pahhhhh, just pipe it through the centre :lol: 

You laugh, I finally gained access to our second cellar and one of the waste pipes from the downstairs cloakroom runs through the corner of it.

• Like 1