What gearbox and axles do I have?

Hi,

I live in Malaysia and recently bought a 1962 Series 2A which has a number of modifications. It has a five speed gearbox and all round discs plus power steering. Unfortunately the PO that had the mods done passed with COVID so I cant get any info from him and the PO I bought it from lost all the files he got with it. It has the original Petrol engine and runs quite nicely but need lots of bushing replacing and brakes overhauled etc. so trying to identify exactly what it has.

PO I bought from said that the gearbox was an Isuzu "Bighorn" i.e Trooper and the logo on the gearbox as per attached picture would seem to confirm this. However when I took it to a local Landover workshop that deals with a lot of Series Landrovers I was told that the gearbox and both axles were definitely Toyota Landcruiser. ( I hadn't seen the gearbox logo at the time but asked the guy several times if he was really sure Toyota and he said he was.

I am thinking that if the gearbox is Isuzu then Isuzu axles would have been used as well as surely wouldn't mate an Isuzu gearbox to Toyota axles but who knows. ( In Malaysia in the old days lots of mods were done using whatever was at hand).

One slightly strange thing is that on the front axle , passenger side ( its RHD) there is an additional spacer between the axle and the spring that isn't there on the drivers side, it sits level so wondering if this is something to do with the axle design or something else???

Any assistance and info on how to identify the gearbox and axles much appreciated.

20220802_161228.jpg

20220802_162324.jpg

20220802_160001.jpg

passenger axle spacer.jpg

• Like 1