Clutch issues

Hi all... I am new to forum but hoping you can help

I completely rebuilt my 1962 series 2a petrol so am mechanically capable....

I have just inherited an 200Tdi 110 (pre immobiliser).... I have managed to start it and it drives not very well... Aside from my series car, I have not much experience with these diesel Defenders.... The first problem I have is the clutch... it has good pressure going down and can change gears (only 1st 2nd and reverse tried at very low speeds).... gear change isn't great but doesn't crunch.

When I put in gear and release, even slowly, there is is a fairly large jerk as the car takes off, so there is no subtle engine engine engagement. Plus if I take out of gear and leave in neutral and release clutch I can hear a rattle from the clutch area.... the rattle goes as I depress the clutch.

The bite of the gear is about half way through pedal travel when I release.... so its not to the floor or anything.

This may have been me, but as its, a fairly violent jerk into gear engagement and take off, I released the clutch slowly, and I noticed a fait bit of smoke coming from clutch area. happened after only one slow clutch release.

Obviously there is an issue and I wondered what the experts here might thing the best way forward is.

Is the clutch gone?... or is there some sort of adjustment?

14 minutes ago, BotswanaLandie said:

Hi all... I am new to forum but hoping you can help

I completely rebuilt my 1962 series 2a petrol so am mechanically capable....

I have just inherited an 200Tdi 110 (pre immobiliser).... I have managed to start it and it drives not very well... Aside from my series car, I have not much experience with these diesel Defenders.... The first problem I have is the clutch... it has good pressure going down and can change gears (only 1st 2nd and reverse tried at very low speeds).... gear change isn't great but doesn't crunch.

When I put in gear and release, even slowly, there is is a fairly large jerk as the car takes off, so there is no subtle engine engine engagement. Plus if I take out of gear and leave in neutral and release clutch I can hear a rattle from the clutch area.... the rattle goes as I depress the clutch.

The bite of the gear is about half way through pedal travel when I release.... so its not to the floor or anything.

This may have been me, but as its, a fairly violent jerk into gear engagement and take off, I released the clutch slowly, and I noticed a fait bit of smoke coming from clutch area. happened after only one slow clutch release.

Obviously there is an issue and I wondered what the experts here might thing the best way forward is.

Is the clutch gone?... or is there some sort of adjustment?

Need to change clutch, release bearing etc, there is no adjustment specifically for the clutch regards Stephen