Chequer Plate

Hi and sorry if this (first post) sounds a bit daft and the answer is right in front of me but...... I bought a 2012 Defender 90 and I'm in the process of tinkering / doing it up and stuff. It came with some black chequer plates, 2 X rear of front wing and 2 X wing tops, along with a bag of long black rivets. 

My question is - for the 2 rear of front wing sections, how are they fitted? there is only 1 whole drilled into the plate, I really can't work it out (please go easy on me) unless someone has missed drilling the other wholes into the plate or something. 

Also, the rivets - I havent got a clue how to use these long rivets.

Any help would be really appreciated. 

Thanks

Paul

2 minutes ago, Daan said:

Hi, and welcome to the forum. A picture would help for your question!

Daan

Hi Dan, thanks for replying, please see attached photos. Photo showing the plate, the rear of front wing and where I think it's supposed to fit. Cheers, Paul

IMG_5168.jpg

IMG_5169.jpg

IMG_5167.jpg

That's a really uncommon place for these plates. Normally it's the wing tops, sills (the ones running under the doors that is visible in your photo) and the rear quarters behind the wheel arches. I'd almost think that's what this plate is for, but it seems too large.

Either way, it is definitely not meant to be fixed on only one hole. Looks like it's not been manufactured properly to me as there's no way that will stay in place on only one rivet, it should have at least four or you'll get grit and water behind it and corrosion will take hold.

Personally, I would leave it off. If you're worried about that hole in the lower wing, I would look at corrosion products to stop it getting any worse and leave as-is, but then you haven't posted for opinions, only for advice.

18 minutes ago, ThreePointFive said:

That's a really uncommon place for these plates. Normally it's the wing tops, sills (the ones running under the doors that is visible in your photo) and the rear quarters behind the wheel arches. I'd almost think that's what this plate is for, but it seems too large.

Either way, it is definitely not meant to be fixed on only one hole. Looks like it's not been manufactured properly to me as there's no way that will stay in place on only one rivet, it should have at least four or you'll get grit and water behind it and corrosion will take hold.

Personally, I would leave it off. If you're worried about that hole in the lower wing, I would look at corrosion products to stop it getting any worse and leave as-is, but then you haven't posted for opinions, only for advice.

Thanks for the heads up, much appreciated

1 hour ago, Hammy123 said:

Hi Dan, thanks for replying, please see attached photos. Photo showing the plate, the rear of front wing and where I think it's supposed to fit. Cheers, Paul

IMG_5167.jpg

Hi,

I think this plate is meant for the rear wheel arch of a defender 90:

image.png.c5211353e8ad973b5c7244a2fedccfdb.png

It is a common place to fit them there, as a lot damage occurs in this area when going off road. Either way, if you use it off road, 1 rivet won't be enough!

Regards,

Daan

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2022 at 10:20 PM, Daan said:

Hi,

I think this plate is meant for the rear wheel arch of a defender 90:

image.png.c5211353e8ad973b5c7244a2fedccfdb.png

It is a common place to fit them there, as a lot damage occurs in this area when going off road. Either way, if you use it off road, 1 rivet won't be enough!

Regards,

Daan

99% of this sort "upgrades" is just for show on road anyway. :D