Another fake/stolen?

pat_pending

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284940309331?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D1110010%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.DISCCARDS%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20211102120225%26meid%3D12e78dcbc1e24cdf886d936c8fd7b283%26pid%3D101110%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26sd%3D284948271895%26itm%3D284940309331%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2563228%26algv%3DDiscOrganicBase&_trksid=p2563228.c101110.m1982

Spotted this on ebay.

Has the vin plate (with the top edge cut off) from a 75 ex military S3 109, stuck on a 300tdi 90 on  a Q plate.

Anyone think of a legitimate reason to do that? No, me neither.

Edited by pat_pending

I wrote to DVLA asking what the process was for reporting these invented identities - there isn't one and they didn't much care. Just advised me to tell the police if I see one. Police won't care much either unless it's got no insurance and a body in the boot,  so if you want to save a few bob on tax just screw some old number plates on 😕 

I can't believe they sell it like that. front number plate ty wrapped to the bull bar, and VIN plate not fastened on. the oldest 300 tdi 90 is from 1994. A V5 shows a LWB land rover petrol from 1975.

I cannot see any one with any sense buying that.

Might be worth a few bob in parts but not 5k looking at the state of it, as a complete vehicle it's a rusty wreck with a very questionable ID.

I could understand ringing the 1975 plate on for road tax & MOT avoidance but since it's on a Q plate it's not even achieving that.

• Like 1

It does not look like it has been rebuilt to me. Probably the Series 3 the chassis number belongs to was issued with a Q plate and has since died.

Stick the Q plate on a ringer and it could be anything at all. Cheap way to disguise them, and arouses no suspicion, because a Q plated vehicle will have been messed about with, and not be what it appears.

Even if the Police or DVSA went over it, unless ALL the axle, gearbox, transfer box, and engine numbers are tied to one vehicle, they cannot prove anything.

Why am I even bothered about running about on a tax exempt plate, or building a 100 inch ? Seems to be just do as you like.

I saw another one that I was going to post on here, but cant find it now.

Looks like the sky high price bubble has well and truly burst too !

• Like 2

As 

"Richard Birch & Co are valuers and auctioneers specializing in asset realizations

We are agents for administrators, liquidators and many major banks and finance houses.

The company itself has been running for 25 years"

You'd like to think they'd have some idea of what they're selling, in this case probably a poorly disguised stolen vehicle.

The true identity of it could easily be found by looking at the vin no' stamped into the chassis, assuming it's not been welded over... And anyone was interested.

It's so clearly not the vehicle in the description it's incredible anyone would even look at it.

Getting valid insurance would be almost impossible when the list of modifications would include, chassis, engine, gearbox, axles, steering , body work etc etc from the vehicle identified on the VIN. That amount of changes should need a IVA at least and I very much doubt it has one.

May not be stolen but defiantly a fraudulent registration.

On 9/8/2022 at 12:19 AM, smallfry said:

I sent the seller an email asking for an explanation. Listing now pulled.

I have also informed the Police, because I can think of no plausible reason to do it, other than to either clone it, or disguise a stolen vehicle.

Good man.

Did you receive a reply? I didn't.

23 minutes ago, smallfry said:

No feedback from the Police as yet, but I am not holding my breath !

Police don't spend time on chasing motoring paperwork anymore since the internet came along and DVLA are able to directly control everything end to end and there's an insurance database.  Unless there is some evidence it's a stolen car or someones commiting fraud then maybe, but looking at an ebay ad won't make it past the round file in the corner of the front office.  These shonky cars should be getting picked up by the eyes-on section of dvla, MoT inspectors, but doesn't seem to be a process and if you put historic plates on you don't need to go for mot anyway.   It's a big loophole, but its also one that in a way stops us having the strict rules of many EU countries that stop most modifications, so maybe we shouldn't poke too hard..

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Eightpot said:

Police don't spend time on chasing motoring paperwork anymore since the internet came along and DVLA are able to directly control everything end to end and there's an insurance database.  Unless there is some evidence it's a stolen car or someones commiting fraud then maybe, but looking at an ebay ad won't make it past the round file in the corner of the front office.  These shonky cars should be getting picked up by the eyes-on section of dvla, MoT inspectors, but doesn't seem to be a process and if you put historic plates on you don't need to go for mot anyway.   It's a big loophole, but its also one that in a way stops us having the strict rules of many EU countries that stop most modifications, so maybe we shouldn't poke too hard..

Of course you are right, but having had vehicles stolen in the past, it really gets my goat.

As an aside, only last night we had a visit from two blokes in balaclavas looking in the three vans on our drive. Nothing of much value in them, so I dont even bother locking them, as it would cost a lot more to fix  broken into doors, than replace half a socket set or one jump lead. Dog frightened them off when they attempted to come round the back of the house. Got good CCTV footage of them though. Police not interested as usual. 

2 hours ago, miketomcat said:

The police more than likely know who they are but can't/won't do anything about it.

Mike

I think the big thing is can't. I've got a couple of friends that are coppers and they're so thinly stretched its a wonder we're not in an even worse situation and means you can see why life has to prioritised over 'things'. One wouldn't tell me where, but they were single crewed ~15-20mins max driving from HQ, tealeaf pinned on the ground after a bit of a chase. Said tealeaf's friends around and not friendly - it took nearly an hour to get backup to the scene :(. Just simply not enough feet on the ground thanks to the lack of funding so they haven't got the time to investigate stuff like a lot of theft :( 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, landroversforever said:

Just simply not enough feet on the ground thanks to the lack of funding so they haven't got the time to investigate stuff like a lot of theft

That's what I've heard too - they're being pushed (rightly) to investigate more serious crimes like rapes & murders properly, so in most cases the rest of it just has to be dropped.

1 hour ago, FridgeFreezer said:

That's what I've heard too - they're being pushed (rightly) to investigate more serious crimes like rapes & murders properly, so in most cases the rest of it just has to be dropped.

It also seems to be a case of times when they've got evidence, but the CPS decides it's not enough :(