Series 3 first start after 20Y

Landy7

Can't believe I'm posting this but after 10Y in the 'Defender forum', as from tomorrow, I will be joining the 'Series forum'Ā šŸ˜‡Ā 

I've bought myself a Land Rover Series 3 88inch 2.25 petrol, 1972, 4x2 ex Belgium army. It's been sitting still in a barn for 20Y. It's possible that the previous owner started the engine up a few times in those 20Y but not certain. It's my first petrol project! Only did diesel ones in the past.

I'm going to tow it home tonight but there is always a tomorrow, what should I check before cranking the engine a first time? I'm thinking about:

- Fuel tank, probably needs cleaning, try with jerrycan fresh petrol first
- Replace all filters
- Replace oil
- New batteries (24v)
- Check ignition feed
- New spark plugsĀ 
- Coolant
- Turn it by hand first to see if it's locked up
- ?

plugs outĀ 

turn it over by hand

a good squirt of WD40 into the bores

turn it by hand a few more times

If it has oil in it still with no water in it crank it on the key with batteries until oil light goes outĀ 

Check for spark when cranking on the key if ok thenĀ 

take the top off the carb and clean out float chamber with petrol/brake cleaner , jets out and clean too .Ā 

petrol into float chamber and reassemble , connect fuel pipe at tank to a jar of fuel and start it up ..

Ā If it runs then new oil filter an oil and clean tanks etc.

Some pic's please , particularly the special bits - front axle and gearbox . Does it have low range?Ā 

SteveĀ 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/15/2022 at 4:03 PM, steve b said:

plugs outĀ 

turn it over by hand

a good squirt of WD40 into the bores

turn it by hand a few more times

If it has oil in it still with no water in it crank it on the key with batteries until oil light goes outĀ 

Check for spark when cranking on the key if ok thenĀ 

take the top off the carb and clean out float chamber with petrol/brake cleaner , jets out and clean too .Ā 

petrol into float chamber and reassemble , connect fuel pipe at tank to a jar of fuel and start it up ..

Ā If it runs then new oil filter an oil and clean tanks etc.

Some pic's please , particularly the special bits - front axle and gearbox . Does it have low range?Ā 

SteveĀ 

Thanks for the tips! Will certainly do that this week. Some pictures, dust included but after a first wash she looks incredible! Oh yes 4x2, so no low range, no transfer box, no front diff, just a tube as an axle :D

IMG_1172.JPG

IMG_1184_1.JPG

IMG_1185.JPG

IMG_1186_1.JPG

IMG_1189.JPG

IMG_1190_1.JPG

IMG_1194_1.JPG

• Like 3

This one is 100% original, previous owner bought it directly from the Belgian army, didn't change a thing, drove it for a few years until the clutch cylinder went out and put it away for 24 years. He did however in those 24 years started it up a few times to move it bit but that's about it.Ā 

My plan is to just revive this old girl and make it my summer convertible ;)Ā I could turn the engine by hand so that's good. I'm going to check the engine first, do the necessary fixes, fix the clutch, fix the brakes (all solid now) and that's about it I think, I like the platina so not sure if I should repaint her or not.

Best part, tonight I'm going to get the second one. Previous owner had 2 of them and it was a package deal, but the second one was the 'parts one', it has a broken engine + broken clutch, bits missing and no papers, but I might need some parts of it anyway.

• Like 1

The second one is also home! Being it in a worse condition than the first one but hey, it's a donor car for a reason. Not on the pictures are the baskets full of parts, looks to be complete.Ā 

Also good for me to learn these vehicles and engines, I can inspect and try some things on the donor car first. I should get some detailed pictures of the engines here, not sure if it's standard but all components like distributor and wiring are waterproofed. You can see an example in these pictures of the engine, you can see the waterproofed wiring from the alternator.

IMG_1225_1.JPG

IMG_1229_1.JPG

IMG_1228_1.JPG

IMG_1231_1.JPG

I'd say that 2nd one is good enough to save too - a rare and original beast, I dare say someone would want that as a project - people have restored *far* worse things than that!

Do you know @elbekko and @Escape, they are fellow countrymen who are LR mad and may be able to offer local(ish) help.

13 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I'd say that 2nd one is good enough to save too - a rare and original beast, I dare say someone would want that as a project - people have restored *far* worse things than that!

Do you know @elbekko and @Escape, they are fellow countrymen who are LR mad and may be able to offer local(ish) help.

I would totally agree with that regards Stephen