OT

need4speed

Just a little forum for couriers in my local area. Since badly injuring my lower back I had change jobs from railway signalling installer to being a courier.

A friend raised the idea of starting a little forum for couriers to share info etc.

Id have no idea where to start with it. It’s ok if no one can help - I’ll just tell them to Google it. Just thought I’d ask here first to see if there was any pointers.

5 hours ago, Happyoldgit said:

Easier and cheaper to create an invite only group on Facebook or WhatsApp. 

This. 

Forums have two big advantages - they're good if you want to attract a large group of people who don't already know each other, and it's easy to keep conversations separated into threads and regret y back to them months (or years) later. Doesn't sound like the first of those would apply in your case? So is the threading worth the hassle of running a forum to you, or do you just need somewhere to chat, in which case a WhatsApp group chat is probably the way forward.

A private Facebook group offers a middle ground (sort of threads, but a PITA to find anything even slightly older - and you'll start seeing lots of ads for anything discussed in there, just in case you didn't already work out everything you do is monitored and used to sell to you...). Personally I loathe Facebook, but plenty of people seem to love it.

Damn that prefictive text ! 

+1 for Facebook group. 

For a forum you either need somewhere to host it, or you’re paying for it as a hosted service, or you get a free one which tend to be thick with adverts.

There is also the hassle of setting it up and doing the admin.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd suggest a WhatsApp group or a Slack group. Slack gives the admin a massive amount of control and the free offering is OK, (read the limitations slowly).

WhatsApp does not scale very well and old information gets lost rapidly, Slack gives the ability to hold standing data and break threads down.