Prices of 109 station wagons

Went round to see my friend today who used to service and restore old land rovers, in the late 70s early 80s he used to do 6 wheeler conversions.

He has done up his 109 station wagon, just wondering what to tell him to insure it for, it is so hard these days to know what a resonable value would be to insure for.

here are some pics all full operational, chassis all sound 2 1/4 engine all seats present.

DSC_0112.jpg

DSC_0114.jpg

DSC_0115.jpg

DSC_0154.jpg

DSC_0113.jpg

• Like 1

This is what my friend brian used to build in his younger days.

He was telling me they bought them brand new then striped them back, the middle axle was cut and flipped(salisbury) and ashcroft were involved with the transfer box mods.

The green one is a recently restored article.

this-1981-land-rover-6x6-pickup-truck-is-old-school-awesome_7.jpg

this-1981-land-rover-6x6-pickup-truck-is-old-school-awesome_8.jpg

this-1981-land-rover-6x6-pickup-truck-is-old-school-awesome_9.jpg

this-1981-land-rover-6x6-pickup-truck-is-old-school-awesome-157232_1.jpg

• Like 3

If he's got any Stage 1 bits and bobs I'd definitely be interested to relocate them to my stockpile :ph34r:

@1969109 when you say flipped the axle was that to put the drive out the back or to offset the pinion?

Was never really interested in 6 wheels before I was offered the Sandringham but having looked into various ones the Sandringham method appears almost unique and in my opinion a really elegant way of achieving a compact and capable 6x6 driveline.

Initially, I have to say that after that experience I'm not going to waste any more of my life viewing a 'Landy' article again. The experience of accessing the online version was painful, and after all that the technical content was very poor.

There is one picture which might make sense to someone with more experience than me, like Ed Poore.

Judging by the profiles of the two rear axles, the mid axle has NOT been 'flipped', rather the differential casing, and a few inches of axle tube, has been cut from the axle, then, after a section of the LH axle tube has been removed, the differential casing has been welded in that space

image.thumb.png.07456b601cf7d3595421f70520a67861.png

It looks, and I'm guessing a little bit, is that the mid axle is driven from the gearbox PTO, while the rear axle is driven from the transfer box as standard, but via an intermediate steady bearing, possibly mounted on the mid axle to ensure the rear axle propshaft never clashes with the mid axle.

Regards.

• Like 1

@David Sparkes your surmising looks to be accurate. Elaborating on the drive style / system I mentioned.

In the Sandringham they have a drop box bolted to the front of the middle diff casing. Power gees in at the top, idler gear to reverse direction then gear to drive middle diff. Another idler gear to change direction again and then a shaft that goes through the diff housing and exits on the back of the casing in a prop flange. There's then a short prop to the rear axle. The benefits of this are that all the props are almost straight thus UJs are operating at nice angles and you can mount the two axles very close together whilst still maintaining good articulation. It also means you only need one prop for both rear axles.

The system above, irrespective of how the drive comes out of the transfer box limits articulation because you have to keep the clearance for the prop going over the top. Equally the angles tend to be rather nasty for UJs or you have to mount the two axles far apart to keep the angles nice.

There's advantages and disadvantages to both ways but I like the Sandringham for my purposes because it's not actually that big (ironically only a foot longer than a 110 or so) and actually with the compact (yet still 8x5.5ft) flatbed on the back shorter than the L322. Yet because of the twin axle and 6x6 it's still pretty decent offroad and has an official payload of 2t (although I've doubled that comfortably). With a single output from the transfer box it also means I can still use the PTO for hydraulics etc.