Focus on just gearbox is this normal

Doesn’t look unusual to me.  Don’t forget that you are looking at the cumulative backlash between three gears in the transfer box, the splines of the transfer box output shaft and gear, the backlash of the overdrive dog teeth, synchro and main shaft splines, possibly three gear wheels when overdrive is selected to engaged, and two more sets of so,Ines on the input “clutch sleeve”, and then the backlash in four gears of 1st selection (main shaft first, lay shaft 1st, lay shaft input and primary pinion), the play in the 1st synchro dog teeth, the splines from the synchro hub to the main shaft, any play in the splines of the gears on the lay shaft and finally the play in the clutch splines and springs.  That is an awful lot of interfaces.

Result! I took the ovetdrive off and put on the original transmission gear. All the slop has gone, nice and smooth now when lifting off the power.

Looking at the clutch sleeve it has a lip on the teeth that slide on the mainshaft also it was moving on this tooth wear ( mainshaft is fine no wear)

I will over the winter split open the fairey and see what is worn ( def clutch sleeve though the outer fine teeth look fine so hopefully the corresponding teeth in the overdrive are not too worn.

• Like 1