Land Rover Series III vs Jeep CJ (vs FJ40)

ColSar

Hi, I've been watching for a Series III for a while and it's been looking like I might not find one on my budget! So, I started looking at Jeep CJ-5 and CJ-7's. I'm looking at pretty decent ones in the 10-15K range. I'm finding very quickly that I hate how they drive! It seems the smooth out once you hit 40 or 50 mph but under that you're sawing the steering wheel back and forth and feel like your bouncing around, and that's with the ones that the owners claim it's one of the best jeeps they've had for handling! I'm contemplating biting the bullet and paying more to get a Series III but now I'm worried they may handle the same way, especially since even with a much high budget, I will be getting an entry level LR! Does anyone have experience with the Series III AND Jeeps? How do they compare? Anyone have experience with the FJ40's? Thx!

Edited by ColSar
forgot a line.

• ColSar changed the title to Land Rover Series III vs Jeep CJ (vs FJ40)

Steering and suspension from all the cars you mention here are pretty ropy to say the least. Badly layed out steering systems (tractor style on a series landy, CJ5 and toyota) and leaf springs just are not very good ways to create a road going vehicle.

Luckily, you can upgrade the landrover series quite easily; parabolic leaf springs are a bolt on mod and the Rangerover P38 PAS conversion works well.

Daan

A Series should steer and handle quite well for the type of vehicle they are. But it depends if you have ever driven vehicles of this type to give you a bench mark. 

I would say, the steering on a Series can be very poor if it is worn. Which most of them are. All bits are available however. But there are a lot of components to the steering. And it only takes one or two to make it pretty poor. 

A p38 PAS conversion is easy. And it will then steer like a Defender or RRC. 

Can’t help on the Jeeps as I’ve not driven them. But I’d guess they would be fairly comparable. 

The front spring hangers are on the rear of the springs on a Series. While they are on the front of the springs on the Jeep. This should make the steering/handling better on the Series. But more compromised off road. 

• Like 1

Honestly none of us can answer this for you - you'd be mad to buy a car without driving it anyway, so you need to drive one & decide of you like it or not.

By now there's so many that have been rebuilt / upgraded etc. that it's impossible to say that one will be anything like another anyway - two identical Series could have totally different handling, if one has rusty old leafs and the other has brand new parabolics + good shocks, sloppy vs rebuilt steering, etc.