LOF solid flywheel conversion experience?

Hi folks, 

I've got a 2006 TD5 110 hardtop with 140,000 miles on the clock and the clutch is starting to judder slightly when pulling away, and it can be a bit tricky to select 1st and reverse with the engine running, like the clutch isn't fully disengaging. I'm thinking it's time for a new clutch.

Based on my favourable experience with their stainless-piston brake calipers, I'm thinking of trying a LOF clutch, probably the Powerspec one.

Question is, do I stick with the original dual-mass flywheel, or do I go the whole hog and fit the full Powerspec solid flywheel conversion kit?

Has anyone got first hand experience with a LOF solid flywheel kit? 

I can't detect and issues with the current DMF, but I know they do fail after a while and didn't want to do the clutch only to find the DMF starts to fall to bits 10,000 miles down the line...

41 minutes ago, Filbee said:

Question is, do I stick with the original dual-mass flywheel

Yes!

The reason they fitted a DMF is because the engine produces a high 'impulse torque'.  That is, an instantaneous burst of torque when a cylinder fires.

The DMF just cushions that a bit so the clutch & the rest of the transmission sees the average torque of the engine.

Although a solid flywheel seems like a great idea, one less thing to go wrong - in fact it's there to protect & prolong the life of the rest of the transmission.  Remove it & you'll be changing gearboxes instead of flywheels.

The juddering you can feel is because the DMF has seized up and is acting as a solid flywheel.  The impulse torque is exceeding the grip of the clutch, allowing it to slip a little.

I was going to buy one, but had the above conversation with a proper grown-up from the motor racing industry.  He said they just lead to other, worse problems down the line & I should avoid it if I possibly can.

So, not first-hand experience - but, in this case, I'm glad I don't have any!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, landroversforever said:

The way I look at it is a couple of ways, but both point towards keeping it. 

A) How often do they actually fail? Not that often! 

B) If it wasn't needed manufactures would happily save the cost of fitting one! 

Mine went on the disco at 70k - this was largely before my ownership. I replaced it with a genuine unit and clutch at the same time. I am now on 165k. Had the gearbox off as it failed about 18months ago - DMF still felt tight - moved rotationally as it should but no in out play, clutch had plenty of meat on it, so changed the spigot, refitted the clutch and its been good since I fitted my £100 replacement gearbox.

So - answer to A - if you drive like me then not that often I think! We do tow and dont always hang around, but normally drive in the right gear for speed/conditions etc and have some mechanical sympathy.

I would refit another DMF (- thats if the chassis doesnt 'wear out' first)

Hard to get into gear is often a spigot bearing issue on the TD5 but the judder is probably the DMF. Mine was clattering and banging badly when it went - a lot of in out play on it.

I have the LOF solid flywheel and clutch kit and so far cannot tell any difference between it and the DMF. No noise, no vibration (if anything I would say smoother) and so far no more spigot issues. I am aware of the issues of solid flywheels as I am a marine engineer but so far I am more than happy. My 110 works quite hard and is normally towing trailers of logs although you could argue that is what it was designed to do. I do have a disco transfer box in it to up the gearing which will load up the engine and clutch more. 
The DMF that I removed was fine but I had recently had to split the engine and gearbox a few times as the spigot was driving me nuts and was dragging causing hard gear changes and then the release bearing went. After 140,000 miles I thought I was on clutch/DMF borrowed time and is the reason I changed. 
Toby

4912C735-BB9B-44B5-A850-2AFA3666412E.jpeg

I installed a rakeway solid flywheel a few years ago to a td5 90. - to be fair its not done a lot of miles since it was installed. But no problems. I put in a solid billet one due to the now owner wanting to tune the thing up a bit.