Welder wire feed motor

elbekko

Hi guys,

I have an Einhell SGA 175 Turbo that I got for free off a friend years ago. It had wire feed issues, that were improved by tightening the roller spring some more. But lately the wire feed hasn't always been smooth, and I think the whole mechanism/motor is just worn out and needs to be replaced.

I can't seem to find any decent source of spare parts for this welder, so I'm wondering, will any generic wire feed motor work?

6 minutes ago, elbekko said:

Hi guys,

I have an Einhell SGA 175 Turbo that I got for free off a friend years ago. It had wire feed issues, that were improved by tightening the roller spring some more. But lately the wire feed hasn't always been smooth, and I think the whole mechanism/motor is just worn out and needs to be replaced.

I can't seem to find any decent source of spare parts for this welder, so I'm wondering, will any generic wire feed motor work?

I don't see why not, you will need to check control voltages as some are 12v and some are 24v regards Stephen

23 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Also check your liner -it may just be worn out depending on how much use it has had.

Its worth looking for a steel liner I've found they're a bit more resilient for the occasional type use, plastic liners seem to not like it if your wire is a bit dirty or if its old and picked up a little bit of corrosion.

40 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Does this match : 

Drive Motor Wire Feed Feeder Assembly for Silver Beauty by HTP | eBay

Seems like pretty generic parts if so, though granted that is in the states, there must be someone in the EU supplying them.

That looks very similar, yeah.

Finding an EU source would be nice, as even from the UK it's an expensive hassle to get stuff shipped these days :(

I had found stuff like this: https://valkenpower.com/losse-onderdelen-lasapparaten/draaddoorvoer-motor-voor-mg200.html
But that's very light on details.

47 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Also check your liner -it may just be worn out depending on how much use it has had.

True. Probably should replace the whole torch at some point. Or a whole new welder, but it's always a little bit too expensive to just splurge on, sadly.
How do I "check" my liner? Just cut the wire at the spool and feel if it feeds through manually smoothly?

• 2 weeks later...

So finally had a moment to have a quick look at it yesterday.

This is the motor that's in there:

20221207_213528.thumb.jpg.303c518bac9ef6a755da3ca03930580c.jpg

(Note the totally-not-redneck way of improving spring tension because the rollers kept slipping when I just got it)

The motor has no markings on it, but I tried to measure voltage and it fluctuated between 9V and 13V, so I'm guessing it's a 12V motor. Very clearly sounding unhappy.

So I guess one of those generic 12V ones should work. I'll order one and try.

On 11/28/2022 at 11:29 AM, Bowie69 said:

The description of that one is hilarious :D

" Suitable for welding of industrial, woodworking and equipment. "

" Motor: 8kw "

You may well find the motor is a standard drill/RC car motor, if you check the dimensions/markings could be cheaper just to get the motor.

53 minutes ago, elbekko said:

Note the totally-not-redneck way of improving spring tension because the rollers kept slipping when I just got it

Mines been like that 20 years! :D

I ordered the AliExpress one. Then realised I didn't check the delivery date, feb 2023... dangit.

I'll take the current one apart and see if I can indeed just order the motor separately. No huge rush, don't have much time until january anyway.

On 11/28/2022 at 10:10 AM, elbekko said:

True. Probably should replace the whole torch at some point. Or a whole new welder, but it's always a little bit too expensive to just splurge on, sadly.

How do I "check" my liner? Just cut the wire at the spool and feel if it feeds through manually smoothly?

Euro torch conversion kits aren't dear and then the parts are standardised. Just double check if you need a gas solenoid - my cheapo Clarke has it built into the torch. Did the conversion, forgot the solenoid. That was 3 years ago...

After a friend looked over my shoulder with a stick welder in my mitts I've not found the need for the mig to be honest, most of my stuff recently has been nearer 20mm and no thinner than 5mm. He used to be a top notch gas pipeline welder so was a good teacher.

I have managed to weld 0.9mm sheet with a 2.5mm rod, did blow  few holes but patched them up successfully.