Chassis

Not sure about stronger, especially compared to Richards(?) where the construction is pretty heavy duty.

Cost wise, new chassis are mega money nowadays and a 3-6 month wait it seems.

With all the tools, I guess there's no reason not to fix it, he can buzz most of the rot out with the plasma and get welding. Plus, if you go back to his fuel tank clean, the purpose of his show is exactly that, to show people how things are done, there's little benefit in buying a new chassis and doing up some bolts and calling it done.

I don't watch all of his by any stretch of the imagination, but that last one I did.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Not sure about stronger, especially compared to Richards(?) where the construction is pretty heavy duty.

Cost wise, new chassis are mega money nowadays and a 3-6 month wait it seems.

With all the tools, I guess there's no reason not to fix it, he can buzz most of the rot out with the plasma and get welding. Plus, if you go back to his fuel tank clean, the purpose of his show is exactly that, to show people how things are done, there's little benefit in buying a new chassis and doing up some bolts and calling it done.

I don't watch all of his by any stretch of the imagination, but that last one I did.

Well he finished it just a coat of paint now 

I’m getting new chassis from Richard chassis soon 

3 to 6 month wait do me nicely as winter should be over win win 😊

3 to 6 month wait do me nicely as winter should be over win win 😊

That's what I did. Ordered from Richard's in September and got a delivery date of my choice which was mid March ready for an April 1st SORN and project start. Having the chassis for a couple of weeks beforehand meant I could prep, paint & Waxoyl it ready. Really mild Spring that year (2020) so I made good progress early on.

DSCF0003.JPG

DSCF0005_LI (2).jpg

DSCF0136.JPG

DSCF5.JPG

32 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

it really did show how pointless the laser rust removal is

Yep, but again, I think they knew that, they just wanted to show something cool (which it was in a way), the machine was doing the rounds on various YouTube channels at the time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bowie69 said:

Yep, but again, I think they knew that, they just wanted to show something cool (which it was in a way), the machine was doing the rounds on various YouTube channels at the time.

It's cool as its something different - a bit star-wars techy.... but I think that's it. It's not affordable and it doesn't give a suitable surface for seemingly any coatings! 

19 hours ago, Litch said:

That's what I did. Ordered from Richard's in September and got a delivery date of my choice which was mid March ready for an April 1st SORN and project start. Having the chassis for a couple of weeks beforehand meant I could prep, paint & Waxoyl it ready. Really mild Spring that year (2020) so I made good progress early on.

DSCF0003.JPG

DSCF0005_LI (2).jpg

DSCF0136.JPG

DSCF5.JPG

Very smart, and your wall is nicely rust proofed too. 😉

21 hours ago, Green200tdi said:

So what do you think is edd China right old chassis stronger then new one? 
is he waisting time with this old RR chassis? 
amount of cutting discs going to go thu ect.

I watch his channel and a lot of it is interesting, but he does talk rubbish sometimes and does get stuff wrong.  He can be a bit of a bodger  at times, too.  In this case, justifying the repair of the old chassis by price and timescale is entirely logical, and there is a good case for retaining it for originality and maybe even for some tenuous environmental and waste reasons, but strength?  No way is that old chassis, even after extensive repair, going to be stronger than new.

8 hours ago, Snagger said:

I watch his channel and a lot of it is interesting, but he does talk rubbish sometimes and does get stuff wrong.  He can be a bit of a bodger  at times, too.  In this case, justifying the repair of the old chassis by price and timescale is entirely logical, and there is a good case for retaining it for originality and maybe even for some tenuous environmental and waste reasons, but strength?  No way is that old chassis, even after extensive repair, going to be stronger than new.

It’s annoys me he’s gone down this route as the inside of that chassis is by looks of as rotter as the outside,

I think tho Paul was joking he was right he’s waisting his time buy a new one but guess that won’t sell the channel.

On 11/29/2022 at 7:41 PM, Litch said:

DSCF0003.JPG

DSCF0005_LI (2).jpg

DSCF0136.JPG

DSCF5.JPG

Looks brill 

3 hours ago, Green200tdi said:

It’s annoys me he’s gone down this route as the inside of that chassis is by looks of as rotter as the outside,

I think tho Paul was joking he was right he’s waisting his time buy a new one but guess that won’t sell the channel.

Cutting all those holes to make flush patches would allow a thorough internal inspection.  I hope they took the opportunity.  My 109 chassis rusted from the inside out.  Bulkheads do the same.