Chieftain Range Rover - anyone come across them?

Bowie69

2 hours ago, miketomcat said:

Not legally. They might get away with an age related plate but even that's marginal and I'm not sure if they're tax exempt.

Mike

I thought that.... not the original front suspension type (a lot are now independent it would seem), and new engine/box.

That said, one is on a 55 plate, so are they using some later model underpinnings? 

I have my doubts on the double wishbone suspension. I'm sure it's better on the road, but seems like a very poor compromise due to the short arms. Probably better to start from a more recent LR platform.

I'm sure there are those happy to spend that kinda money to get a different looking Chelsea tractor. 😁 

8 minutes ago, Escape said:

I have my doubts on the double wishbone suspension. I'm sure it's better on the road, but seems like a very poor compromise due to the short arms. Probably better to start from a more recent LR platform.

I'm sure there are those happy to spend that kinda money to get a different looking Chelsea tractor. 😁 

Can't imagine them doing anything more than a bit of grass at the polo match! :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just awful.  Take a classic car and strip out all of its character, throw bling wheels and bumpers on it and pretend it’s cool.  Vulgar and crude, regardless of the quality of the engineering.  I’m sadly sure it’ll be a hit.

It almost works for me. Not sure about all of the front bumper, but it's close. And it's not the vehicle for white lettering, in my view.

Nothing wrong with white letters, just not for me on this.

32 minutes ago, L19MUD said:

Putting the suspension argument to one side and the destruction of a rare classic...I think this looks awesome personally!

Just need to lose the LED lightbar

Completely agree, I think that looks great! If I had money to burn, I'd love a RRC look with modern underpinnings for a daily. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, L19MUD said:

How to take a divisive subject and up it a level!! 🙈😆

Horses for courses: some very tasty classic race cars have white letters. And are better for it. Tyrrell F1 car? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Snagger said:

Just awful.  Take a classic car and strip out all of its character, throw bling wheels and bumpers on it and pretend it’s cool.  Vulgar and crude, regardless of the quality of the engineering.  I’m sadly sure it’ll be a hit.

That's a bit harsh, isn't it? I'm not really a fan, but it does keep most of the Classic lines and character (maybe not once you're driving it). The wheels are not too big, especially compared to current trends and the bumpers not that far of the Brooklands kit. May not be to everyones taste, but there's far worse out there. Anything by Kahn for example...

@Bowie69 we're allowed a lot on here, don't hold back. 😉

• Like 3

It may be harsh, and of course is only an opinion, but it’s exactly what I feel.  Altering a classic to incorporate more modern or practical elements isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but there is so little left of the original aesthetic or driving character in these that it ceases to be a Range Rover.  

• Like 1

I'm no stranger to strong opinions. 😉 And I agree about the driving character, that's my main problem with EV conversions of classic cars as well. And the reason I would never even consider it. But on the aesthetic side this doesn't look too bad I think.  Certainly very recognisable as a Classic, no?

• Like 1