Freelander glow plugs

scillyman

Hi I have a 2003 Freelander TD4. I have replaced the glow plugs. The heater light lights for 3-4 seconds. Attach a volt meter to a plug lead. I switch on ignition, volts read 11.8 volts for about 10 seconds. Switch off and back on same results. Start engine, volts rise to about 13.8 volts for aprox 2 minutes the drops to zero. Is this normal? can anyone tell me what is happening? Regards.

Yes it's normal, in a generic style for diesel engines with any sort of electronic control.

Basically, full battery voltage is applied to the plugs, and the dash lamp is lit, this is pre-heating.
The dash lamp is darkened but battery voltage is kept on the plugs. As the engine starts the voltage changes from 'just' the battery value to the alternator value, which is what you have seen and reported.
This is 'post-start heating', it's purpose is to improve the burn, giving smoother running and less exhaust smoke while the engine is cold.

Generally it's all controlled by time rather than temperature, although extreme cold may extend the pre-heat and the post heat periods.

Regards.

Yes, perfectly normal.

Glow plug light is not actually that, it is telling you when it is ready to crank.

The glow plugs on more modern diesels stay on for a while after start to smooth things out and ensure ignition.

Hi. Another question on a similar theme. My Freelander starts quite quickly in the morning when it is cold, glow plugs working ok. During the day when the engine is warmer and the air temp is higher it takes a good 15 seconds with the starter churning fast. I feel like I could do with the glow plugs running a lot of the time. Could the temp sensor be faulty or is there a safe way to over ride the sensor to manually activate the glow plugs. Any thoughts? Regards

If it's anything like it's big brother BMW diesel in the P38, it could be down to wear in the injection pump. Hot starts uses as little diesel as possible to reduce emissions, as the engine ages that's not always enough to guarantee a quick start. It is possible to bypass the temperature sensor (with a timer) so the ECU thinks it's colder when starting, works a treat.