Salisbury diff ring and pinion dimensions

Hi all.

Can anyone please provide the dimensions of the offset from the back (smooth) side of the ring gear to the pinion axis for both 4.71 and 3.54 gear sets?  I’m trying to determine if the 4.1 Dana gears will need a spacer ring on a 110 spec diff centre (the 4.71 obviously would).

Thanks.

Gazzar mentioned in his 101 thread a discussion on AULRO about Dana 60s into 101s that had the following screen shot comment, so it appears that my 4.1 gear set should fit the Defender spec Ashcroft ATB, but that the 4.71 SIII gear set would need a spacer.  Again, if anyone knows the diff flange offset difference (and thus spacer ring thickness) please sing out.

DBD0CC43-2337-465D-9C9F-94B58577BD83.png

I enquired about a spacer ring but got no reply from them (or Nige).  I haven’t found anything on a Google search either.  I’d be very surprised indeed if the Rover and Salisbury offset variations for the different ratios were comparable.

Thanks Gary.  The ring gear will be thicker than the pinion head smaller than a 109’s but the pinion axis to smooth face of the ring gear should be the same.  I presume you are leaving the pinion in place, so measuring that offset would be tricky.  If you could stand the stripped diff on one of its bearing seat ends and measure the height to the mating face of the flange, I can compare that to the same measurement on my ATB.  That should be accurate enough for me to get a spacer ring made up and fine tune with shims.

Much appreciated 

• 5 weeks later...

Yes, but conflicts with other information.  That AULRO post in the other thread has the gear spec split at 4.3 and lower and 4.56 and higher, not 4.1 vs 4.56.  The deck height here varies by 0.195”, but the Dana60 spacer ring in the advert I screen shot was specified as 0.155-0.165”.  It is concerning to see so many contradictions, though I don’t think that spacer ring appeared to be of great quality (the thickness variation suggests that all by itself) and I did say it seemed thinner than I expected.  Easy enough for a gear ratio to have been missed from the table in your link above, I suppose, especially if it is an uncommon ratio.  

There seem to be numerous types for the Dana, some like the Salisbury, some like a large Rover diff with single pin and open centre, and probably many more. The Dana specs seem more about the pinion and ring gear and the casing dimensions than the diff itself.

14 hours ago, Gazzar said:

@Snagger I've an aftermarket CW&P for a salisbury, 4.7. Do you need dimensions from that?

G.

The diff flange to pinion axis measurement would be very useful.

Is your gearset for a 110 diff or 109?  Being aftermarket, I have a suspicion it might be the latter for Defenders fitted with oversize tyres.  If you know whether it was meant to replace the 4.71 gears on the 109 or the 3.54 on a 110, let me know, because it obviously would differ for that flange position.  Either way, the measurement will be useful for me to know the spacer thickness if it’s a 109 gear or to confirm my 4.1 gears will fit if it’s for a 110.

Regardless, if you could post up the pinion measurements as I did for the Dana gears, that’d be an enormous help for me to know if the pinion will fit the Salisbury spec bearings (I read conflicting information that one of the inner races may be a different size) and whether the LR flange will fit the splines (I have a seemingly rare 10 spline Dana set).

On 1/14/2023 at 8:57 AM, Snagger said:

Yes, but conflicts with other information.  That AULRO post in the other thread has the gear spec split at 4.3 and lower and 4.56 and higher, not 4.1 vs 4.56.  The deck height here varies by 0.195”, but the Dana60 spacer ring in the advert I screen shot was specified as 0.155-0.165”.  It is concerning to see so many contradictions, though I don’t think that spacer ring appeared to be of great quality (the thickness variation suggests that all by itself) and I did say it seemed thinner than I expected.  Easy enough for a gear ratio to have been missed from the table in your link above, I suppose, especially if it is an uncommon ratio.  

Incidentally, as I mentioned on the other thread, it appears a thinner spacer is better in the case of the Ashcroft ATB as it hides less of the locating centre for the ring gear - the thicker spacer takes about 1mm more of that away, leaving  just under 2mm to hold the ring gear centred.  The more of that thickness that can be made up by shimming the bearings to move the entire diff into mesh with the pinion, the better.

No rush.  

The pinion dimensions, other than gear diameter and tooth count, should be the same regardless, so those measurements would be extremely useful to compare to mine.  With it being for 109, the offset is useful for that spacer thickness outdoor I end up retaining the 109 gears.

Thanks, Gary.

It’s very rough, but I laid the ring gear on the bench, sat the pinion into it in the middle of the thrust range that it seemed a comfortable fit (you will feel how “off” it is if you push the head too far toward or away from the ring gear centre, and will have a comfortable range of only 1-2mm), and then measured from bench to pinion head centre.  A measurement to the nearest half mm is a good guideline for what we are working out at this point.  It’s the measurement on the far right of my sketch (62.29mm, 2.452” as best I could manage with this iffy method 😉) .

• Like 1

I confess I thought you had a whizzy scientific way of measuring offset rather than what you suggested. I know what you mean regarding where the pinion fits nicely.

Will do what I can.

• Like 1