Salisbury diff ring and pinion dimensions

Thanks, Gary.  

Looks like all the measurements are very close for the pinion except for the diameter of the forward bearing sitting over the splines, probably within measuring error and production tolerances.

2.6mm difference in the difference between pinion axis to flange face is smaller than I expected, given the spacers are around 3.9-4.2 mm, but given how we are measuring it, we could be out by the difference between the stated spacer thickness and measured offsets.

Yes, I'm sure if I were to measure again I'd have a different offset. 

So, your set of gears would sit on a defender carrier better than on a series carrier, consistent with the 4.10 and down of the Dana. Is that right?

So it appears.  I seems that everything will be a direct fit except for that one bearing.  I don’t know if there is a bearing inner race that has a thick section to fit the thinner pinion and still use the same outer race as the Salisbury.  Even if there is, I don’t know if it’d have to be shimmed against the pinion shoulder rather than use a crush sleeve for the preload. I think the easiest thing for me to do would be have a sleeve turned to fit a standard Salisbury spec bearing on the Dana pinion, keeping all parts except the two gears and the ring bolts Salisbury spec.

A newly spotted concern in the same area is that the thick section of the pinion is 20mm longer on the Dana.  Will I be able to get the front bearing in far enough? I had thought the casings to have the same dimensions, including bearing outer race diameter and position.  I suspect the difference is to allow the use of preload shims, like on the Rover diff pinion - Danas also use a different side bearing shim system, using single rigid shims tapped in by mallet between outer race and casing, rather than multiple thin shims between diff and inner race.