Dedicated to the 101 forward control axles

Gazzar

To continue with the comparison….

Genuine old AEU2522 - stub shaft dia 29.75mm but the root dia of output spline is only 28.35mm

101 CV which I believe is genuine as I’ve never seen any AM options/alternatives- stub shaft dia 32.95mm but the root dia of output spline is 33.10mm 

Working on the min dia for both

AEU2522 - 28.35 = 631.242mm2

101 - 32.95 = 852.709mm2

which makes the 101 CV stub shaft 135% the cross sectional area of the 110 CV stub shaft. 

It’s my opinion that the 101 CV is also machined better/properly with the stub shaft slightly smaller dia than the root dia of the output spline. 

Photos don’t really do them justice…

503448D2-08FF-4DC6-BA57-32920CCC8900.thumb.jpeg.6d006a5fba8f01fc251df5c0ba8ef511.jpeg

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

A couple of further dimensions and thoughts.

For my 101 I'm very keen to fit a LSD/ATB, preferably the Detroit truetrac.

There isn't one made for a series Salisbury, the carrier break is in a different place to the defender variant, and the inner half shaft arrangement is unique.

Bill Davis of Great Basin Rovers in the USA has previously commissioned batches of Detroit units for the 101 but the minimum order quantity is too high for another run.

Which leaves modification to suit the installation of a Dana 60 unit the best viable option. My initial thoughts were to modify a truetrac with the right carrier break, but with a thinner shaft. There's a version that takes a 1.3" (inch) shaft.

But, looking at a shaft and a side gear for the thinner shaft, this wasn't a great option, as there were going to be gaps.

So, the next option is to fit a standard truetrac, unmodified, and a custom shaft. I've been reluctant to go this route, as I prefer standard parts if possible. But custom shafts are a common option and can be considerably stronger than the already unbreakable standard 101 shafts.

And so, the dimensions. 

The "most?" common size I see on the internet is a 1.5" 31 spline shaft.

So my current thinking is to get a pair of custom shafts to match and to fit standard flanges. Bryan Bush at DDE can get these made for me. And thus the question is will they fit the stub axles/spindles?

Bear in mind that the outer is going to be standard, only the inner splines are 1.5".

And of course, I could fit the shaft before the stub, but it would be nice if it was done properly!

The good news is that stub axle is 1.49", so a very light adjustment in the lathe should allow a proper assembly order.

It remains to be seen if this will come together but if it does then I'll have what I want. 

Break points:

Not for the Dana 60, but gives the idea. The break point on the 60 is 4.10, so all series, except the Stage 1, are 4.10 and higher.

Screenshot_2023-05-07-09-20-55-807_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg

IMG_20230503_201635.jpg

IMG_20230505_123438.jpg

The custom shafts should work well.  As long as the section change is progressive, you won’t get much of a weak spot.  I understand that the inboard ends will be thicker than the outboard.  If that is right, then you’ll have to remove the stub axles to change get the shafts out, but that isn’t much of a hardship in the grand scheme of things, given how infrequently that is needed, and is the same as dealing with front shafts.

Just remember the Salisbury 8HA is equivalent to the Dana60, not the 44.  The split in deck height seems to be at 4.3:1.

FWIW I recently saw a photo of some custom axles from DDE and they did not appear to be wasted down to the root dia of the splines (didn’t appear to be wasted at all). That’s something I would definitely be making sure was done. 

• 2 months later...

In the end I fitted a Detroit lunchbox locker to the rear diff. One from Bill from Utah, built for the 101. Very simple task as none of the setting up has to be done if you reuse the bearings.

I'll fit a Dana 60 truetrac in the front.

IMG_20230715_110445.jpg

IMG_20230715_111121.jpg

IMG_20230715_121828.jpg

• Like 3