Is this hub seal fitted right?

monkey welder

Hi to all you knowledgable landy owners out there - please can someone tell me whether or not the seal in the attached pic is the right way round?  It is on the rear hub off a series 2A LWB and this is how the seal came off the vehicle.  I'm having to renew it thanks to it leaking and here's my confusion:  every seal i have fitted has always been lipped side facing away from you and towards the bearing, and yet this one is the opposite.  Have i got it wrong or has a previous owner got it wrong, the manuals are as clear as mud?  Thanks.

DF90B10A-5A64-41B7-879D-0245D1453A88.jpeg

19 hours ago, monkey welder said:

The replacement seals are pretty standard with a lipped side and a flat side, so i'm still guessing the flat side should face me.....??

Correct.

The photo looks like a double-lipped seal to me, and it appears the correct way around as the writing is visible on the flat face of the seal carcass and a bigger lip appears to extend down towards the bearing.

3 hours ago, Snagger said:

Correct.

The photo looks like a double-lipped seal to me, and it appears the correct way around as the writing is visible on the flat face of the seal carcass and a bigger lip appears to extend down towards the bearing.

Now that I zoom in, it looks like you are right,  it's a "h" profile, rather than a "u" profile. My mistake!

Remove the spring and shorten it, might stop the leak. What's the land like?

13 hours ago, monkey welder said:

I was hoping for more of a concensus as to the right way and the wrong way, oh dear....!!!??

The seal in the photo is a double-lipped seal and is fitted correctly.

If your new seal is single-lipped then fit it with the lip on the inside - flat face on the outside. If it is double lipped then fit it same as the one in your photo. 

• Thanks 1

The seal might not be fully seated down in the bore, they may be a defect in the bore or on the seal land (the bit of the stub axle the seal runs on) or the seal could be defective.  Check the depth from the hub rim to the so,d seal face for evenness and post up photos of the stub axle.  

Can you read the manufacturer’s name on the seal?  If it’s anything but Angus or Corteco, it could well be the problem. If unbranded, then it is likely to be the problem, probably originating in China or India and sold in a blue box pretending to be British.  “Britpart seal” is an oxymoron.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Retroanaconda said:

The seal in the photo is a double-lipped seal and is fitted correctly.

If your new seal is single-lipped then fit it with the lip on the inside - flat face on the outside. If it is double lipped then fit it same as the one in your photo. 

That seems to make sense and might be why i'm getting conflicting answers - i've never come across a double lipped seal.  I need to get the seal out and have a look at it to verify - the replacement seals are single lipped anyway so i guess will have to be fitted as described.

20 hours ago, Gazzar said:

Now that I zoom in, it looks like you are right,  it's a "h" profile, rather than a "u" profile. My mistake!

Remove the spring and shorten it, might stop the leak. What's the land like?

Only just worked out what the 'land' is....!  I'll find out soon when i clean everything up and study it all closely.

If you have an old wheel bearing (for that wheel hub) you can sometimes use the outer race to tap in the seal. Cut a slot in it with a grinder or hacksaw, and the thinner side of it should rest against the flat face of the seal without affecting the lip. 

• Like 1

RTC3511 is the double lipped seal that fits the Defender hubs, and possibly the later Series III hubs too if they use the same size seal land (been a while since I’ve had an Series III apart to remember).

I use it on all of mine as I find it is better at retaining oil and grease, and keeping water out. 

• Like 1