Need some new spot lights for my 110

mickeyw

I've always supplemented my Landrovers' headlights with a modestly priced pair of 6" round halogen spot lights with 100w bulbs in - modestly priced because if I break them it's no big deal. However the reflectors in my current set are well past their best and providing less lumens than I'd like. They've seen well over 10 years' service so I'm happy to replace with a new set, only it seems such spec of light is now less easy to find having been displaced by a multitude of LED offerings.

Now I have nothing against new tech, but I also have no wish to spend silly money for a set of LED headlights (most look cack IMO anyway) or the crazy money of some high end LED (Lazer, Trucklite etc) spotlights on sale. The cheaper LED products on evilbay or the jungle website seem to start out OK but quickly lose brightness and/or fill with moisture.
So the big question - can someone recommend (from first hand experience) some lower prices LED spots that are no bigger than 6" diameter to hang from my A-bar and clear a TDS9500 winch that sits above the bumper, and have given good performance for at least a couple of years). They need to have a decent spot driving beam, and not look ridiculous. I don't do garish bling bolt-on stuff, I just need functional and understated looks that no-one will feel the urge to pinch, and I won't be too upset if I damage them.

Over to you guys and girls, and thanks in advance.

Do you have a budget op? I got hold of some KC Hitlites used a few years ago and found some new lenses going cheap online. Although that might not be so easy these days.

I would say, don't snub LED. You just need to do a little more research. The do put out a lot more light and suck way less amps too.

I went with Osram for a moderately priced compact lightbar. It's a spot beam and easily exceeds any halogen setup I've used or had. All running through a 5amp fuse too.

Info in my review vids. But I can provide you with some links for more info if you want.

I know you’ve ruled out expensive LED lights. But I’ve got a set off LAZER lamps R750’s in the front of the van. 

The single H4 transporter bulbs are shocking at best so the lazer lamps make a huge difference. 3 years on and zero issues and still are bright as day 0. 

you really do get what you pay for. 

B94AEC15-44F1-46A9-9E30-9965116548C5.png

• Like 1

@mickeyw they're not the cheapest but the Classic Car LED headlights are really good, they also do a more yellow tinted version for the classic look. @darthdicky fitted a set to his truck. You only notice they're LED if you look closely at the bulb, not in your face LED like the trucklights etc.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Nonimouse said:

Ive bought second hand hella/Cibie before and simply fitted LED lamps into them. The refraction is relatively simple, and I'm only supplementing the natural 'hole' in the light pattern of my standrad headlights

I intend to fit H3 LED “bulbs” to my Hella lamps too.  

• Like 1

6" being the largest you can fit makes it more difficult.

LED doesn't have to be expensive to be good. I've been running this €150 Biltema LED lightbar for a while now (and had an el cheapo Chinese one from a group buy on here before). It's amazingly good, and can't fault it at all for the price.

They have some spot lamps too that seem to be from the same or similar manufacturer. But smallest is 7".

I find a good headlight bulb (Osram Nightbreaker) + an LED lightbar for when you're alone and you need to see everything is a good combo.

We've had this discussion before, but I still think the Classic Car LEDs H4 bulbs aren't suitable for reflector headlights, only projectors.

OK folks, thanks for all the suggestions. I appreciate that cheap and good is like looking for the holy grail. All unbranded stuff is as much of a gamble as buying things in blue boxes.

Nick, the reflectors are now 'ventilated', so unfortunately recoating is not an option. It's annoying really as the outer lamp housings are stainless and in fine shape.

Ralph, the Comets appear to be a good option in so far as they will fit the gap and are priced to suit to pocket. Alas Dave's Roolights are too big for my application, 6" does limit choice for sure.

Jason I've seen the Lazer stuff in person and seen how they turn night into day, alas I won't ever spend that much on a light for my Landrover. This rules out the Biltema stuff Elbekko has too, as nice looking as it is.

Mr Drumstick, thanks for the video links. That Osram light bar looks better designed than many on offer, and is also fairly discreet, and it would fit beneath my A-bar leaving good access to the winch rope. Price is acceptable and performance appears impressive. I'm not snubbing LED per se, but many of the cheaper products just look horrible.

I think the choice so far is between the Comets and the Osram light bar.

• Like 2

I fitted a pair of these to a mates 110 at the weekend. There seems to be loads of them on ebay and they are clearly aimed at looking similar to the very expensive ARB Solus lights. I know they are bigger than what you want (they might do a smaller version) but I was quite impressed with the quality of them for £80 and don't think they look too bling in Black. They even came with a clear stone guard

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394285184475?hash=item5bcd3a75db:g:k-8AAOSwDfBjRmPh&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAsCr8vuuj8wM0iMgy6xl%2BbMs%2BNeFDXApeAq0Ob4d9wtzHBJqe%2FpUJZ3OvDGa4BpMPrlM3RDp78s8%2BLRImFbF3Sa3I3v0o%2BlqFCY8rEOc%2BH2%2B69vMLRn0Sp%2BEbyuA0i9FPK%2Ba0U9J%2BPRQBWmfqx1%2F0BmUKcXixr7xvfc8RvqqZ%2FHA5m9mQvXGANezxv6xNQTnJOclNjcIqAIdX9OxSwMjyymRLRafowQd8wCujYxsZMFfn|tkp%3ABk9SR47hqZnCYQ

2 hours ago, L19MUD said:

I fitted a pair of these to a mates 110 at the weekend. There seems to be loads of them on ebay and they are clearly aimed at looking similar to the very expensive ARB Solus lights. I know they are bigger than what you want (they might do a smaller version) but I was quite impressed with the quality of them for £80 and don't think they look too bling in Black. They even came with a clear stone guard

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394285184475?hash=item5bcd3a75db:g:k-8AAOSwDfBjRmPh&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAsCr8vuuj8wM0iMgy6xl%2BbMs%2BNeFDXApeAq0Ob4d9wtzHBJqe%2FpUJZ3OvDGa4BpMPrlM3RDp78s8%2BLRImFbF3Sa3I3v0o%2BlqFCY8rEOc%2BH2%2B69vMLRn0Sp%2BEbyuA0i9FPK%2Ba0U9J%2BPRQBWmfqx1%2F0BmUKcXixr7xvfc8RvqqZ%2FHA5m9mQvXGANezxv6xNQTnJOclNjcIqAIdX9OxSwMjyymRLRafowQd8wCujYxsZMFfn|tkp%3ABk9SR47hqZnCYQ

What was the beam pattern and range like? I've looked at those before to replace an ageing 100w halogen pair but chickened out so I'd be interested to know what they are like!

50 minutes ago, Def Harry said:

What was the beam pattern and range like? I've looked at those before to replace an ageing 100w halogen pair but chickened out so I'd be interested to know what they are like!

Will see if I can get some pictures. I have not seen them in the dark as not fitted to my truck. My mate messaged me saying they were amazing compared to the 9 inch spots with H4 bulbs that were fitted before

I can’t remember the names, though one is the Comet, but I have the same Hella lamps on my 109 as used on Camel Trophy 110s and both types work well (I suspect the Comets are the rectangular type on the bullbar above a winch, another set as driving lights on my RRC, and the round type on the rack are the other name).  They seem reasonably rugged and their plastic casings won’t dent or rust.  They take standard H3 bulbs, for which LED replacements are two-a-penny.

55 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

That makes it a rather less shocking price! 

Quite :D I wouldn't have bought it for that price.

Too bad they don't deliver, and don't exist outside Scandinavia :( I have to do my shopping when we're there :P

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Snagger said:

I can’t remember the names, though one is the Comet, but I have the same Hella lamps on my 109 as used on Camel Trophy 110s and both types work well (I suspect the Comets are the rectangular type on the bullbar above a winch, another set as driving lights on my RRC, and the round type on the rack are the other name).  They seem reasonably rugged and their plastic casings won’t dent or rust.  They take standard H3 bulbs, for which LED replacements are two-a-penny.

Hella's Comet 500 is 6" round, the Comet 550 is rectangular 7.5" x 4".

• Like 1