a new galvanised bullkhead ?

hello all , 

it seems there's some choice when buying a new galvanised bulkhead , a short search on google shows :

richardson

shielder

ultra bulkheads

i'm looking for a NA version (with the smaller windscreen vents) 

any thoughts on quality ?

10 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

I didn't think they changed the bulkhead vents at all through the life of them? Just that they changed the type/location of the vent seals. 

it's not the bulkhead seals that differ , it's the vent that blows on your windscreen inside the cab . seems that from 200tdi they are bigger (richards state's 10" for old and 14" from 200tdi onwards)

1 minute ago, Junglie said:

Maybe the ducting is different? (Is there ducting or does it work on the "throw some air this way and a bit will hit the windscreen" principle?)

That's what I'm thinking, with maybe different brackets for it. The air vents on mine when I stripped it fitted into the dash fine (possibly earlier dashtop actually) and screwed into bulkhead brackets OK too if I remember correctly - Been a little while since I took it all apart :D

Have heard many a horror story about Shielder. 

Ultra bulkheads may seem a new company, however from what I have heard they know what they are doing having previously made chassis's before changing business model. They also have a distributor in Holland (Yellow Trading) so may be easier for you to get hold of logistically. 

I haven't used either as when i rebuilt my 90 there wasn't anyone doing galvanised bulkheads so I just galvanised a good bulkhead i had

Jon

22 hours ago, landroversforever said:

Interesting... I wonder what actual difference that makes to the bulkhead. Mine's an unmodified 1984 NA bulkhead, but had a full Post 02 TD5 dash in it. 

I think it’s simply that with the vents being wider, the little brackets where you screw the self tappers at either end into the plastic inserts are further apart, and the moulded dash would be different too - to accommodate the wider/longer vent.

But it’s so easy to find/fit alternative/appropriate vents - perhaps you did that during your swap without remembering.

36 minutes ago, Northwards said:

I think it’s simply that with the vents being wider, the little brackets where you screw the self tappers at either end into the plastic inserts are further apart, and the moulded dash would be different too - to accommodate the wider/longer vent.

But it’s so easy to find/fit alternative/appropriate vents - perhaps you did that during your swap without remembering.

The swap was done long before I bought it… all I’ve done is strip it and put in a box :lol: