Rear Radius Arm Bushes

nas90

Those who have been to Belgium, Slindon challenge, Seven Sisters and the Horsham bash in Somerset March this year, will know that I have mangled a radius arm bush every outing! This is the rear axle bush where it joins the radius arm to the chassis. I have ordered and fitted part: NTC 9027 4 times now, 2 left and 2 right. The vehicle has not changed for 7 years, 1 inch lift, Rancho RS9000 shocks and tyres no larger than 33 ins diameter. Previous to this year I have had an occasional bush replaced at MOT time but 4 in 5 months is a bit steep!

I have been talking with Harwoods, our local main agent, where all of the new bushes have been purchased and some of the old ones have been sent back for analysis. According to Harwoods parts manager, LR back in 90/91 changed the bushes and you can buy 2 bushes on part: STC 618 which apparently are different to the single part: NTC 9027.

Hopefully the free of charge bushes will survive longer than the last 4, I will keep the forum updated, suggest you get STC 618 if you need to replace your bushes.

What is Part number NRC 7491 then ?

Has this number I have been supercedded, as this is the bush I've used for years with no real probs ????

Nige

Nige

Epc tells me NRC7491 & STC618 is for Discovery upto VIN JA 021208 & RR upto VIN HA610293

all superseded by NTC9027 :D hope that helps :D

You'll like this one!

Box arrived from Harwoods today STC 618 printed on the outside of the box. Inside the box there are 2 radius arm bushes and moulded into the rubber is part number NTC 9027 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I now have 2 new bushes that will fail next outing. DOH! :(:(:(:(:(:(

All the ones folks here use are STC618 I think, as you say 2 in a box.

One thing some people do is to "press" them before fitting. Basically you need a couple of bits of Nige spec snorkel tube (10mm thick x about 3in diameter) or a couple of large, old type galvanised pipe fittings or big sockets, just smaller than the diameter of the washers that sandwich the outside of the rubbers.

Put one bit on each side of the bush and stick the whole lot in a press. Press down so it squeezes the whole lot together and the rubber part of the bush is squashing out, and keep pressing until the paint on the rubber part of the bush just starts to crack, then release the pressure - it will spring back but not as far, so the metal washers (now bent) grip the rubber much tighter and the bushes last longer!

It might compromise suspension travel a bit but I can't say I've noticed and it certainly makes a difference to the useful life of the bushes - I have done it on some of my old vehicles and I will be doing it on the new one.

It can also bring a bit of life back into a bush which is a bit worn but which you are too mean to change ;)