Is this road legal?

tobes

This is probably a stoopid question but.......! :rolleyes:

I know this vehicle has a number plate on it etc, but are there any legal issues with doing something like this? would the MOT man/cops have anything to say about the front of the wheel being SO open with no bumper?

post-435-1169912264_thumb.jpg

This is probably a stoopid question but.......! :rolleyes:

I know this vehicle has a number plate on it etc, but are there any legal issues with doing something like this? would the MOT man/cops have anything to say about the front of the wheel being SO open with no bumper?

post-435-1169912264_thumb.jpg

Not sure a bumper is a legal requirement (somebody will no doubt jump in if I am wrong) but I think if in a member of HM plod's opinion the vehicle was dangerous due to exposed componements with a resulting risk to passengers and other road users they may get a pull and a ticket (can't see a reg number either, I know you say it has one but that is defo illeagal if it can't be readily seen)

That said (and this is not meant to spark an off topic debate) I can't recall the last time I saw a police traffic car in Cleveland so it is likley to be got away with!!! :D

This is a real can of worms.

Depends on

1. What exactly is the LR here - is it a 90 that has had major work ?...or one built from bits, the 2nd means the reg number is highly questionable. To keep the reg number the 4x4 here would need to have a number of major units from the "Donor" / original 4x4 to keep it, but then theres the chassi mod prob...

2. There are 3 main areas that you need to look at

a- MOT a MOT man has to work within the rules and regs of the MOT manual and rules. It can still be MOTd but not legal if

b- It breaches the UKs Construction and Use regulations, these are available to but from HMSO and will cure insomnia, but whilast a MOT man may not be interested in C&U R the plod on one of their "Special" roadside inspections will most certainly be

c- SVA and points system. Even with all the above, if the alterations inc say shortening the chassis at EITHER end or building from Bits then your into a SVA which is a MOT from hell, this DOES incorporate SOME of the C&U R (the ones affected by your 4x4) and hence why its hated by so many

People will witter and debate this for hours if not days, but a few siple facts

A - IF YOU chop shorten / lengthen the wheelbase or bobtail it via shortening the chassis from or rear its SVA Time. If you do and you don't bother its like playing with fire, you might gert away with it, but you could get badly burnt, ie even if you have all the modifcaitions told to youyr insurers (and if not then your mad) it could be argued that the mods are not in keeping with the terms of the insurance - ie SVA and as it hasn't then you have invalidated your insurance.

B- Build a 4x4 anything from "Bits" and the legality of the 4x4 and V5 / registartion mark is in Question, period.

C - The more radical it looks the more possiblity of a tug and trouble, and the more you need to know the legal cans and cannots.

D - there is no real clear "Absolute definate" process, your call, I always have erred on the side of caution, but the laws are getting worse, so be very careful !

Like swampers on a 4x4 are NOT E Marked and not road legal, as not E marked, many take a chance, on a std RR or 90 you'll probably never get a 2nd look, on something very trick you just might ?

It will be interesting to see who says what here, many do use the "Ostritch" principle when it comes to massive mods.... :ph34r: Its one of the reasosn the Hybrid finally got cut up.........

Nige

Just been looking at a few other photos of that truck, i presumed it was road registered but am not sure now. i have seen a few defenders with similar front ends and i am pretty certain that some are on the road.

looks like justin deans and it was constructed out of a stock 90 competes with t/t motor there is a form of spat over the front wheel which puts it on par with the jeeps looked in to tray backing a 90 and vosa didnt approve of the amount of open space around the rear wheel area and no spray supprecent but told me i would need to get pulled before they would have to do any thing so the mot would be fine :wacko:

I'm sure what Nige says is correct, however do we know of anyone who has had an insurance claim refused due to non SVA compliance, assuming all mods were disclosed?

I know this wouldn't stop someone becoming the first!

I don't see the open front is an issue, a Super 7 or Atom have completely exposed front wheels with mudguards.

My Range Rover was registered as a pick up prior to my purchase in 1989 and I guess I'm happy to be an Ostrich on that basis.

Structure of the vehicle looks ok for road use in my opinion. There's no legal requirement for a bumper to be present, even if one was factory fitted. Wherever the number plate is positioned might be a bit naughty. Tax disc might be on the top of the dash. As long as it's clearly visible is fine - it doesn't have to be stuck to the windscreen, this is just a recommended/popular place to put it.

Les. :)

Sorry Les :D

Tax disc MUST be fitted to NEARSIDE lower corner of windscreen.

ie bottom left on RH drive vehicles and bottom right on LH drive vehicles. :)

Whan I used to scrutineer on road rallys, MINI's were a problem that had been fitted with the wider tyre. RAC MAS regs stated then IIRC that two thirds of the wheel had to be covered and no tyre to stick out of the wheel arch. I would recomend to drivers to fit spats. However if you looked at a brand new Mini in a shoeroom.

The front wheel was only covered by about a third!!! Those were the days.

mike FOAK

Knickers. Causing a lot of trouble in an empty house :ph34r:

Tax disc MUST be fitted to NEARSIDE lower corner of windscreen.

Hmmm - I discussed this subject with the training seargent for Wilts Constabulary a while ago after I had a tax disc stolen from my 2A. He said that in a vehicle that has easy access to theiving scrotes, remove it while the vehicle is empty - police can pnc the vehicle anyway, and you have 'good reason' to remove it. Land Rovers that have the ability to fold the screen down should ensure that the disc is clearly visible should an officer need to see it - a motorcycle-type tax disc holder is acceptable. If you were driving a series vehicle with disc attached to the screen in the usual way and you had the screen down, it would be unreadable.

Les.

That's Roger Shaddicks motor - only ever seen it on a lorry when on the road.

Tony's right - It's not Roger's it Justin Deans 90 and, as with most event vehicles, is trailered.

Most of the vehicles I know with a simerlar setups at the front have very minimal road use. Legally I don't think there's a big issue as long as tyres are covered - look at kit cars like Caterhams.