110 Tdi 300 1995

I have offered to help go and collect the car from about 150km away for an elderly neighbour. It would seem that it has been in his garage for up to 2 years and has not been started.

Apart from the battery and tyres, is there anything else I need to consider before going?

I have been caught out before by the clutch either being stuck or the master/slave seals having let go. It depends what you need to do with it - trailer home or are you hoping to drive?

• Like 1

I'd pull the lead from the start solenoid and spin it over and get oil pressure for a few seconds before starting  Then let idle for a few minutes before anything more strenuous. Handbrake might be stuck on 

Edited by fmmv
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, L19MUD said:

I have been caught out before by the clutch either being stuck or the master/slave seals having let go. It depends what you need to do with it - trailer home or are you hoping to drive?

We are hoping to drive it back. The gentleman has a new Defender but wants to go back to his favourite, the 300tdi.

Stuck clutch, stuck brakes, including the transmission brake, dodgy washer fluid, wipers glued to the screen, sticky relays and if you are really unlucky, organic matter in the diesel.

If I had the choice, I'd trailer it nearer for some detailed attention before driving. No choice, bring tools to free brakes, top up all fluids and test all the systems before hitting the road.

You can usually free a clutch by warming the engine first, then starting up in gear, but make sure you have lots of runoff to control the vehicle. Driving through the back wall of the garage is a good way to ruin your day!

Edited by jeremy996
Clutch freeing!
  • Like 2

On 3/7/2023 at 1:02 PM, Junglie said:

But a GREAT way to become a YouTube sensation!

Or get £250 from You've Been Framed :) 

On top of what Jeremy has listed I'd also take a grease gun and lube the prop shaft joints before going far.

If you want an example of what an extreme case (not driven in 20+ years) entails, have a watch of Vice Grip Garage on Youtube. His 'will it start and drive 600 miles home' videos are epic.