Hi All, 

As I have mentioned elsewhere in the forum I am building a 1962 Series 2A LWB using an Isuzu 4B diesel engine coupled to a Dodge transmission 5 speed 4x4. The drive for the front axle is on the opposite side from stock. Does anyone have any experience of flipping the axle and diff to work in this configuration? I have a few options but was wondering if anyone had previous experience of doing this. The chassis in the photo is being replaced, this was a test fit in the existing frame to see how it worked. Thanks.

3D66B961-B9BF-4E43-AEB3-8AD845392086.jpeg

7451DB4F-6CF8-4A21-9246-7CDAFE23FF44.jpeg

You could possibly flip the axle, but you would also need to alter all suspension mounting points, bump stops etc, you could also change diff pumpkin position which is what I did when fitting Unimog 404 axles to my lightweight ( mog 404 axles thread )either way your looking at a decent amount of work

Regards Stephen

flipping the casing would make your axle spring under again. which is what you want from what I gather? The swivels are 6 bolt so could swap between left and right and work with the housing upside down, but not sure about the castor angle.

You would need to flip the diff to maintain the correct rotation. (I presume the dodge propshaft rotates the correct way?). The bolt pattern is not symmetrical, so you would need to re-drill the holes for the diff. That would leave the drain plug to move to the bottom:

image.png.8fd10f06d6b4fa7ee6487e899d58d879.png

• Like 1

Thanks Daan, very helpful. I dismantled the axle over the weekend and found exactly what you have said. I intend to replace the axle back in the original position on top of the springs but to have the diff on the other side. It is a can of worms to flip the axle and the diff, so I tried rotating the drop box on the gearbox which appears to work well and the axle would work as originally set up. Still working on it, thanks for the input. 

Just a thought, it looks like you have already made an adapter for the engine to gearbox, would it be possible to remove the Dodge transfer box and make an adapter for a LT230 transfer box, then it would drop the right way for the axles, I did this for the back of a 4l80e gearbox. Not sure how this would work with final ratio's but you can get different ratios of LT230's and the diffs so I expect it could be sorted somehow..