Tube notching for wing bars

white90

I've just sat the last of my exams for this session, so was taking some light relief from 'work' (well that's what we call it, doubtless you'll all disagree), I should be removing and stripping down my alternator to see what's causing it to have a paddy, but an impromptu Blue Peter session with loo roll and scissors seemed more fun, now where's my sticky-back plastic?.... :ph34r::D

Landymanluke - great Blue-Peter moment!

In fact, it is possible for it to come out perfectly without gaps (I'm trying to upload a pic but as usual, it's not playing ball...), the mistake you made was to assume the two cuts must meet in the centre of the tube.

It's easy to make this mistake, then trim the middle (pointy bits) back so it fits nicely, and then discover you're changing the overall length of your bars!

Apparently... :unsure:

Al.

I'm with you - I've edited my diagram.

The issue was that I was making two cuts as the blue 'wedge' shows (and getting a much worse approximation), not as the purple plane represents. Like I said, I just didn't have my 3D head on... :) Cheers guys, esp Mark (it hurts to say that) for the clear explanation.

I've followed this with my "he's talking b*****ks" head on ... then you show me a picture of a couple of bog rolls and well ... stand back in amazement!! :unsure:

Twist it 90 degrees ... that's too rediculously easy for my brain to cope with ... I need a lie down. ;)

AndyG

I've followed this with my "he's talking b*****ks" head on ... then you show me a picture of a couple of bog rolls and well ... stand back in amazement!! :unsure:

Twist it 90 degrees ... that's too rediculously easy for my brain to cope with ... I need a lie down. ;)

AndyG

Thanks everyone for acknowledging it works, not least with the bogrolls! This tread deserves to be put in the archives as being one of te funniest.

Daan

is this what you girlies are trying to do

front view(top left), end (top right ) and plan ( bottom) for those that cant work it out

i know its rough, but i really couldnt be bothered :P and at some point ive lost a line.. you get the picture

wobbler2.jpg

thsi bit can be cut out and wrapped around the pipe as atemplate

wobbler1.jpg

this method only really comes into its own when pipes are intersecting at funny angles