Vehicle transport from France...

mikea

So, Im contemplating getting my Audi 80 from France to near Nottingham for restoration.

Options seem to be;

find a company that will transport it (who transports the AA/RAC breakdowns and do they offer the service to the public?). I have posted on Shiply.com but the cheapest option is still about a grand.

hire/buy a trailer or vehicle transporter (less than I thought to hire one, but will be complicated as going outside the UK) but it will require additional ferry and fuel costs for the outward journey.

find someone doing the reverse journey who wants to share costs.

Lots of pros and cons to any solution... complicated by the fact that I'm in Jersey so additional transport costs whichever way I do it.

I thought about getting it running and road legal and driving it up, but I dont think thats going to work as I dont have the time to work on it...

Its all looking hugely uneconomical, but then economy isnt always the first consideration is it...

Any other suggestions please?

• Like 1

Would be a bit of a logistical nightmare, even if you could get someone to do a part load thing, chances are they will not be willing to take it to where it needs to go.

I would have thought a trailer would be the best bet, thats if you have something to tow it. There are companies over here who will hire a transporter or a towing vehicle and trailer combo, surely must have the same there ?

Failing that, driving it would be easiest. Is it in France or Jersey ?

6 hours ago, smallfry said:

Would be a bit of a logistical nightmare, even if you could get someone to do a part load thing, chances are they will not be willing to take it to where it needs to go.

I would have thought a trailer would be the best bet, thats if you have something to tow it. There are companies over here who will hire a transporter or a towing vehicle and trailer combo, surely must have the same there ?

Failing that, driving it would be easiest. Is it in France or Jersey ?

Thanks.

No-one in Jersey hires trailers (and that would mean an additional return ferry journey anyway) and the French arent co-operative (Much less so since brexit).

Driving would be my preferred option but I dont have the time to get it mobile (the reason Im going to pay someone else to restore it).

Its in France.

Hiring either in the UK or in France will mean a return trip anyway (one way with the car the other with empty trailer), so no advantage...

There used to be guys doing regular trips with beavertails towing trailers, doing back and forth trips to europe picking and dropping cars as they go in a big circuit at very good rates - don't know if its still a thing post brexit though. A lot of one man bands advertise transporr on ebay and facebook marketplace, you might find some info on facebook expat groups as well.

I think @Arjan is planning a trip from France to UK to collect some stuff. Not sure if he's taking a trailer and if that would be empty on the way up, but you could ask.

Unless you can find a truck with a part load, I fear most will charge for the empty return, so you'll pay for an additional ferry crossing anyway. And that will get expensive...

Goedemorgen,

Just back from a trip to Holland with a smallish trailer :

image.png.cc8059a32957ca6d2b09d2809fd2a314.png

I am doing a trip to the UK this weekend but I do not have a trailer with me that would take an Audi 80 unfortunately..

However, what is stopping you from flying to France, hire a recovery vehicle from KiLouTou, LeClerque or the likes, load your Audi 80, drive to the UK, deliver the vehicle, drive back, get in the plane and you're done.

What you're not saying is where the vehicle is registred ?

Brexit changed a few things.....

IF you're the registered UK owner of the Audi, you have very limited Customs formalities. If it is on FR plates, you may have to do some paperwork.

Bon Courage.

• Like 2

Can you split the journey up - get it from within France to somewhere near Calais, then worry about the crossing, then do the UK portion separately.

I'm fairly sure their normal rules are not to go outside the UK but it might be worth phoning CLH Trailers in St Clears and seeing whether they can offer any advice or options? It may be that their insurance doesn't allow it so it's a non starter but it may be a policy thing that they might waive for an additional fee.

With the way trailer prices and demand are at the moment it is likely an option to buy one, do the job and sell it on for a profit. The danger is you realise how useful it is and don't sell it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ed Poore said:

With the way trailer prices and demand are at the moment it is likely an option to buy one, do the job and sell it on for a profit. The danger is you realise how useful it is and don't sell it.

*looks at the box trailer on his driveway <_<

It happens :D

• Haha 2

Just casting my mind back to the last time I shipped a car to Italy - pretty sure I used shipley or one of the similar sites -  got quotes, picked a likely candidate who did regular runs then booked a short local job with them which meant we could contact each other, then we arranged lengthening the trip privately which cut shipleys hefty commission out. 

• 3 weeks later...

I just moved my truck back from France, i tried shiply but like others have said it was either stupidly high quotes or idiots.

In the end i decided to do it myself, hired a trailer and booked onto the truck ferry via freightline. In my case i also had to do the customs paperwork, but after a lot of searching i found an excellent agent that did all of it for a resonable price, including the french exit documents. (Brunel European) Freight ferry is great, works out way cheaper, and you get a free truckers lounge lunch.

Only fly in the oinkment, was the trailer hire guy called me 4 days before and told me the last customer had written-off his trailer. Couldnt find a replacement in time so had to buy a trailer last minute. 2.5t twin-axle for sale if interested ;)

edit: a lot of trailer hire companies dont let theirs outside the uk as for europe the trailer needs its own reg document, and most just dont want the hassle of getting one even though it only costs 25 quids with DVLA. You need to get separate trailer insurance, as in EU its covered separately from the car. I registered mine and got a 1 week insurance.

If you need help with customs details PM me.

• Like 2